starting strength gym

Thread: Taper for weightlifting meet

Default Taper for weightlifting meet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Rip,

I took your advice from the Toronto seminar and entered a weightlifting meet. I saw the advice you provided for Steven here and was wondering how I could adjust my training this week for a meet this weekend.

I normally train Tuesday, Thursday and then either Saturday or Sunday. I'm still very much a novice and within the last few weeks I've moved the strength lifts back to the start of my workouts as per some advice from Steven. My plan this week was to squat, press, work up to a quick single on the snatch and c&j on Tuesday. Squat and either bench or push press on Thursday and probably skip the olympic lifts. I'm just curious if you think I'd see more benefit from something else. I'm a little concerned about Thursday as I get quite stiff the day after I lift and we have to drive 8 hours to get to the meet.

I appreciate your time and help Rip.

Craig

I would not have a novice taper at all. You're still getting stronger rapidly, and if you omit the 2 lifts Thursday, this will put 5 days between the last SN/C&J workout and the meet. Do you think they will benefit from a 5-day interruption in form practice at this stage of your training? If you're sore, up the Advil dose, but do your Thursday workout.

Perfect. Should I take the approach to the olympic lifts on Thursday as I am on Tuesday? Keep things around my openers?

Thanks again for the help Rip. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do you think they will benefit from a 5-day interruption in form practice at this stage of your training?
    For the record, I do not. I definitely don't think a few singles near maxes will be all the difficult to recover from either.

I'd go heavier on Tuesday and do openers on Thursday.

Will do Coach.

Best of luck mate, let us know how you get on.

Mr_Rogers,
    What meet? when, where? I might check it out .

The Toronto area is a bit far for us to get to (20hr drive) so we're heading to Winnipeg for the Manitoba Open. I'm going mainly for the experience and to enjoy myself, my lifts aren't at a competitive level yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Went 3/6, hit a 5kg snatch PR and took 2nd in the 94kg class. Learned an awful lot and had a great time. Thanks for all the advice Rip.