starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis

Default Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Mark,

Over the past year I have been trying and failing to do your basic barbell training program. I haven't been disciplined enough to make each workout and eat like I need to, also I don't have all of the equipment I would like but I have been able to safely improvise. I'm 28, 6'2, 330lbs, I know I need to lose a large amount of weight but how my Dr here in the UK has told me to do it doesn't work without making me feel like shit. Hence me attempting to start your program. This is all background to my question for you.
    In January I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with anterior uveitis. After 6 weeks of medication, injections and frequent visits to the hospital I was asked to do some blood tests and chest and back xrays. The uveitis was dealt within 10 weeks of the original visit. I got the all clear for my blood tests and xray. I had to go back again with the same eye problem 2 weeks ago and after a checkup yesterday the DR had some news for me. They did find something on the blood results, a HLA B27 marker, and this coupled with the anterior uveitis means they have diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondylitis, although I currently suffer no back pain outside of a small ache every now and then but that is only after not getting enough sleep. What I would like to know is if you have any advice on how to proceed and stop the AS from affecting me. At the moment I'm thinking that actually making your program happen will help a great deal into making my back stronger. Is there anything else or any alterations which I should make?

Thank you for your time, and the excellent book.

Matt

You should just train, doing the program, which you have not yet done. You may well be fucked, but what are you going to DO about it? Take the fucking, or train?

I've been living with this shit for 9 years, diagnosed for 1. Like Rip says, do the program. Squats and deadlifts are the best possible thing you can do to help yourself, particularly at this stage. It's always better to have good muscle around bad joints.

Stock up on ibuprofen. Inflammation is your enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You may well be fucked, but what are you going to DO about it? Take the fucking, or train?
    This applies in the General Case, as well as in the Particular.

Uveitis and the increased eye pressure from heavy squats don't go well together. If you have another case of uveitis, I recommend avoiding squats until your eye gets better.

Supposedly the best exercise for ankylosing spondylitis is swimming, no impact with lots of motion for the joints. The one rheumatologist I went to didn't seem to care for weight lifting. Probably just the usual, not enough research in strength training and medicine.

Train like a motherbitch and don't ever get into a victim mindset. Shit happens. I've had colitis for 10 years, I am certain proper barbell training alleviates inflammation in the long run. "Stronger people are harder to kill" is your new mantra, you'll actually see it happen. Your doctors will be surprised at your progress in years to come.

Some interesting comments about success / help from an AS specific diet / paleo diet.

http://paleohacks.com/questions/7392...#axzz2Ta2OLhBx

It's the interwebs, so tkae it with a grain of salt. But it can't hurt to experiment with an anti-inflammatory diet. Maybe Jordan has thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lupus View Post
    Uveitis and the increased eye pressure from heavy squats don't go well together. If you have another case of uveitis, I recommend avoiding squats until your eye gets better.

Supposedly the best exercise for ankylosing spondylitis is swimming, no impact with lots of motion for the joints. The one rheumatologist I went to didn't seem to care for weight lifting. Probably just the usual, not enough research in strength training and medicine.
    Heavy squats increases eye pressure?

Any activity that keeps the joints moving will be beneficial in ankylosing spondylitis. The real problem with this disease is the fusing of the bones that occurs over time. Typically the pain causes people to restrict their movement which allows the bones time to fuse and then lock in that position permanently. The more you can move the better.

My old weightlifting coach had ankylosing spondylitis and she was a medal winner in Master's Weightlifting at the US national as well as world championships and level. She trained the quick lifts (obviously) in addition to squatting and pulling regularly.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all of the advice so far, getting into a victim mindset is the polar opposite of what happened, hence my postings here. Now that I am in a position of getting fucked by it or be the one fucking it I know which way I am going. At the moment the eye condition is being controlled with a daily steroid drop and has been stable now for over a month. I've got to go back soon to see if this is what I will have to do to keep it at bay, if I do, its no big deal. The paleohacks website was an interesting read. I will definitely be making changes to my diet which will be anoher way to stop it from being an issue. I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist int he near future, I don't expect them to have any consideration for weightlifting but I'm just going to carry on anyway. One thing that I will be starting is to spend 10-15 mins a day stretching and doing mobility work, which should have a positive affect on my lifts and getting in the correct positions. Any tips for this?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast