starting strength gym
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to do crossfit games

Default Want to do crossfit games

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark I would like to hear your opinion on training for the crossfit games. I did starting strength to some decent numbers and eventually stalled out on that. I have never do e any olympic lifting or some of the gymnastics type movements they use so obviously I would have to work on that plus the conditioning they do. So I'm wondering if my best bet would be to join a crossfit gym and have them work with me or continue to push my strength levels to the detriment of the other fitness parameters in crossfit? My numbers so far are 535 deadlift 420 squat 300 bench 200 press at 190bw 5'10" and roughly 17% bodyfat

Thanks

My opinion of training for The Games is irrelevant. I don't know anything about it, nor am I interested in learning. I do know that you'll need to drop below 10% and get a large supply of fashionable blue tape before you'll look like the other boys, and that's really the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My opinion of training for The Games is irrelevant. I don't know anything about it, nor am I interested in learning. I do know that you'll need to drop below 10% and get a large supply of fashionable blue tape before you'll look like the other boys, and that's really the most important thing.
    Further to this you'll need to ween yourself onto sucking dick, slowly.

Now that you are gay enough to compete consider that:
    1) gymnastics movements should be learnt from as close to the age of birth as possible to learn the complex movement patterns before body-weight causes risk of horrific injuries to shoulders.
    2) you have none of the natural talents needed to excel in this anyway, so should give up.

Cross-fit is to circus, what cheer-leading is to weightlifting... But their workouts are kinda circus tricks minus the pay check, and therefore pointless. A muscle up? Great, what a practical/FUNCTIONAL thing to need to be able to do, I'm sure when those bad guys are chasing you in the street you can box jump over a fence and then intimidate them with one.

Handstand push-ups should come in handy for all those times when you find yourself upside down and needing to force the ground away from your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    True, but it's also essential to make sure your health insurance premiums are up to date. Keeping your lawyer and your orthopedic surgeon on retainer is wise. If you're really serious about covering the entire broad domain of possibilities, having an MHC-compatible kidney donor lined up in case you go into acute tubular necrosis from rhabdomyolysis is just icing on the cake.

But yeah, the abs and the blue tape come first.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    A muscle up? Great, what a practical/FUNCTIONAL thing to need to be able to do, I'm sure when those bad guys are chasing you in the street you can box jump over a fence and then intimidate them with one.
    Or you could just take up parkour. That's French for running away but looking cool and athletic while doing so. Something they excel at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Or you could just take up parkour. That's French for running away but looking cool and athletic while doing so. Something they excel at.
    Hey now, I actually think parkour is pretty awesome. It seems to have it's own strange little hippie subculture too.

Those guys impress me. Crossfit guys do not.

I did not realize the crossfit games competitors were frowned upon here. Sorry I brought it up, it's just that 250k made it seem like a solid goal to strive for.

If you need the money, give it a try. Maybe you'll beat Froning.

Heck, the guys (and gals) who win those are impressive. But you can bet they didn't get that way by doing the WODs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    Hey now, I actually think parkour is pretty awesome. It seems to have it's own strange little hippie subculture too.

Those guys impress me. Crossfit guys do not.
    Parkour is something I trained as a complement to what I already did for a job, it wasn't a difficult transition.

Not being an arsehole to drunk strangers has served me better than the ability to scale a 13ft wall quickly.

Now lets get back on the topic of sarcastically implying crossfit has any practical application to anything but circle jerks.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast