Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So it's okay, right?
    Depends on what you mean by "okay."

You (used rhetorically--not referring to a specific person) certainly have a right to use homosexuality to derogatorily refer Crossfit based on your innate disgust of homosexuality...and for good measure, you have a right to picket military funerals with signs saying "God Hates Crossfitting Fags." You also have a right to refer to Crossfit as being "nigger" based on your innate disgust of black people. You also have a right to stick your dick in a toaster.

Society shouldn't be able to forcibly prohibit these actions (and it can't under our Constitution), but I wouldn't say any of them are "okay." (Though my degree of disapproval as to each understandably varies.)

Then, of course, you may question back "well what if I get turned on by sticking my dick into toasters, and who are you to say that homosexuality should have parity with heterosexuality?" We then trip and stumble into an inescapable Cartesian thought experiment that gets very tedious very fast, though discussions of homosexuality in nature and biological anthropologic explanations for the innateness of xenophobia in social animals (with a splash of Niko Tinbergen and Robert Ardrey for good measure) may be interesting. But we ultimately agree that the issue will be moot in one or two generations anyways, whereupon a new culture war will have taken form, and those folks will be engaging in our exact same paint-by-numbers debate except with a few different nouns.

So, can we just skip to the end and pour the whisk(e)y instead?

It's interesting how homosexuals and their supporters label supporters of heterosexuality as homophobes; an attempt to delegitimize those who practice and support heterosexuality, a la 'Alinsky's Rules for Radicals'.

As a strong supporter of heterosexuality, I view homosexuality in the same way I view those who eat their own boogers.
    Do I think it is unnatural and unappealing? Yes.
    Am I afraid of it? No.
    Is it something that should be regulated by the government? No.
    Is it something that I should openly mock and disparage? Yes.
    Am I concerned that a booger eater or homo will talk me into participating in their vile and disgusting practice against my will? No

My own inconsequential opinion on homosexuality is that I don't give a rat's arse what the genders are of two or more people who want to have sex and/or live in partnership. Man-woman, man-man, woman-woman, transgenders, who cares?

I find it strange that homosexuality should be used as an insult, especially in the strength sports. Gays were and are such a big part of physical culture. In Aus I trained for a short while in a gym used mainly by big-gay-hairy-bear types. They trained hard and heavy and a few were ranked powerlifters, all were very strong. They'd eat crossfitters for breakfast, pausing only to try on some of the prettier girls' outfits.

How do you know someone does CrossFit?

They already told you about it.

And their "paleo" diet.

I think this was just an evil genius plot by Mark...now if someone searches this forum for "crossfit games", they end up at a page discussing homosexuality. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Ignorance is initially unavoidable (so, sure, it's "okay" in that sense) - holding onto it in the face of the evidence is above all stupid - but when it is bent to rationalize hostility and agression by someone who *should know better*, then it's something other than ignorance and it's no longer "ok".
    You're not being clear, Tallison. What is not okay?

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    Homophobia is a perfectly reasonable term for a revulsion for homosexual behavior.
    I disagree. The term implies that people who don't like homosexuality are hostile toward it because they are afraid they might be homosexual themselves. They "hate" it because they actually love it.

I do not like Barack Obama. Shall we speculate together?

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    Oh, I imagine you could make a normal/natural/"genetic" argument for most of our initial negative reactions to the strange and unfamiliar - *especially if it is perceived as potentially threatening*. There's the pragmatic problem of the persistence of such reactions when the reality of the situation shows itself to be other than initially feared (misperceptions of reality tend to lead to bad decisions) and there's the "social justice" side of the coin when a group with some "foreign characteristic" continues to be treated as a threat, long after they have proven themselves otherwise (and, in fact, are made vulnerable to the mistreatment that can flow from said misperception in direct proportion to the extent to which they were never a threat in the first place).
    Mein Gott! This scans like some of the bad translations of Kant I suffered through as a freshman in college. I'm increasingly beginning to believe that intellectual lupus sets in East of the Rhine. To wit, all credit to Devnull for this one. But I think it derives from the same rich vein of "ore." Or something. http://startingstrength.com/resource...861#post699861

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I do not like Barack Obama. Shall we speculate together?
    Racist!

If one is against amnesty for illegal immigrants, does that make one a Xenophobe?

This thread has potential

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Racist!
    I was thinking that maybe I secretly love him and his fascist agenda, and that my visceral reaction to this love was hatred, and that this hatred was therefore evidence of my love of Fascism, which I publicly hate but really love.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast