starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power, sacroplasmic hypertrophy and 8-10 rep assistance lifts

Default Power, sacroplasmic hypertrophy and 8-10 rep assistance lifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

Figure 4-4 in Practical Programming shows the effects of different rep ranges on performance. 8-10 reps appears to be a sweet spot for assistance lifts because it is good for both power and sacroplasmic hypertrophy.

When I think of power I think of lifting as fast as possible with a lighter weight. When I think of sacroplasmic hypertrophy I think of lifting slower with a moderate weight like body-building.

With this in mind, do you need to consciously lift at a different weight/pace to affect these two performance parameters, or would lifting a moderate weight as fast as possible bring out the best in both parameters.

Thanks!

I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't know.
    Mark,relax.. Ill handle this one....

I dont know either.

You can go a little slower on the assistance lifts to give your joints a break. However, if you're concerned about time under tension, just do more reps. That's how cyclists get big thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by Notrhwoods View Post
    Mark,

Figure 4-4 in Practical Programming shows the effects of different rep ranges on performance. 8-10 reps appears to be a sweet spot for assistance lifts because it is good for both power and sacroplasmic hypertrophy.

When I think of power I think of lifting as fast as possible with a lighter weight. When I think of sacroplasmic hypertrophy I think of lifting slower with a moderate weight like body-building.

With this in mind, do you need to consciously lift at a different weight/pace to affect these two performance parameters, or would lifting a moderate weight as fast as possible bring out the best in both parameters.

Thanks!

This may get me permanently banned, but I've found the old bodybuilding routine of 8x8 (Vince Gironda pushed it pretty hard) to work pretty well on assistance work. Start with half the weight weight that you can get eight normal reps. Now do them with minimal breaks in-between at a controlled clip. If the weight is right the first four fell like warm up and the last four like pretty decent work sets. Add weight once you complete the prescribed numbers. The warm up part helps the weight from hammering the joints (at least that's what this 42 year old finds)

As an example, today on dips I did BW at 30 sec rest and find that it is helping my press numbers a bit. If I find myself kipping like a crossfitter, I call the set so as to avoid injury.

Hope it helps.............and that I'm not permanently banned!

Fuck you. You're banned. In the meantime, did you notice that the OP cannot spell either "Northwoods" or "sarcoplasmic"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fuck you. You're banned. In the meantime, did you notice that the OP cannot spell either "Northwoods" or "sarcoplasmic"?
    I attributed it to the lack of blood flow from looking for "the pump"

Quote Originally Posted by mcclamic View Post
    This may get me permanently banned, but I've found the old bodybuilding routine of 8x8 (Vince Gironda pushed it pretty hard) to work pretty well on assistance work. Start with half the weight weight that you can get eight normal reps. Now do them with minimal breaks in-between at a controlled clip. If the weight is right the first four fell like warm up and the last four like pretty decent work sets. Add weight once you complete the prescribed numbers. The warm up part helps the weight from hammering the joints (at least that's what this 42 year old finds)

As an example, today on dips I did BW at 30 sec rest and find that it is helping my press numbers a bit. If I find myself kipping like a crossfitter, I call the set so as to avoid injury.

Hope it helps.............and that I'm not permanently banned!
    Actually that does help, thanks. I guess I shouldn't have posted this as a hypothetical question. I need to focus on power more than hypertrophy so I was considering dropping the weight on my assistance squats and presses (I am doing 5/3/1 with Squat assistance after DL and Press assistance after Bench) and focusing on explosion/speed with the lighter weight for 8 reps. Part of me was saying that it would be crazy to reduce the weight, but based on your method it sounds reasonable.

Looking at that figure threw me for a loop because it shows power at 8 reps but Olympic lifts are trained at 3 or fewer reps.

starting strength coach development program
    Misspelling??? Sacroplasmic hypertrophy training developed my huge ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast