starting strength gym

Thread: knees feel stiff, a form issue? or weak tendons in knee from being a novice?

Default knees feel stiff, a form issue? or weak tendons in knee from being a novice?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    after squatting my knees tend to feel stiff. almost the same feeling that any other muscle would get when severely taxed, the area where i feel it is around the lower teardrop of the quad and around that area.it's not so much as painful just an odd feeling in the knee. can it be possible that the odd feeling is from weak knee ligaments. or is it only ever a form issue? the feeling tends to linger constantly which is leaning more towards a form issue. here's my 5th and last set of squats i just did today for you to get an idea of my worst case form.

sorry about the bad angle and quality it's pretty cramped.

Don't post anymore videos of barefooted squats on this Q&A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't post anymore videos of barefooted squats on this Q&A.

i know, i know. I've ordered shoes and are waiting on them now

those squats look pretty solid to me. The angle of your upper leg in terms of being almost parallel with the bar is a little extreme. I would either rotate the feet slightly inward or bring the stance out wider. If you just started squatting I would not be too concerned about moderate knee discomfort if the movement is new to you. I had some fairly severe knee pain when I very first started squatting but it went away in a few weeks.

Probably just novice stuff working itself out. I found, when I began doing full squats, that the increased ROM of the movement really blasted my quads in a way that felt new. I also dealt with a ton of knee pain my first year as my knees became used to functioning properly.

My experience was that my knees hurt a lot all the time, then I got knee sleeves and lifting shoes and started squatting more often. Over time they started hurting less and less. Now they can be a little creaky the next day, if I do a few air squats it generally goes away. This all happened over the course of a year. I don't know which factor helped most, or if it was all of them together. Don't forget that you are building connective tissues in your knees by stressing them, so I wouldn't worry to much, I didn't when it was me.

starting strength coach development program
    Foam rolling using piece of PVC pipe (Target: Quads)?