starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist injury after missed clean

Default Wrist injury after missed clean

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I'm 5' 11", about 205, most recent programming was some block periodization that Matt Reynolds wrote for me.

On 5/3/2013, I missed a clean and jammed my elbow into my knee with the bar racked. Afterwards I had some sprain-ish pain in my right wrist and elbow, but it cleared up pretty well. I was able to press, bench, squat, deadlift and even front squat without pain during all this time. I have not done cleans since the injury since I had some restricted ROM and didn't feel that it was worth risking re-injury to do something that wasn't as high on my priority list.

Last night I dropped down to do an impromptu set of pushups. First few reps went fine, but from reps about 5 to 8, I felt the wrist seize up and become very painful.

Last night I iced it, and this morning it's very painful.

Description of the pain:
    Pain is centered around the base of the thumb. Is not "tender" at all, which seems to rule out several of the diagnoses I found online (de Quervain's, Preiser's). Pain only occurs during wrist abduction (thumb towards the body), which seems to rule out TFCC.

I'm planning on getting an X-ray to hopefully rule out a scaphoid fracture, but wanted to pose the question to you in case you have any suggestions.

Thanks for all the info you publish and make available on this website - I'm a different man because of your books.

Scaphoid fracture is the most common Olympic lifting injury. Sometimes it's hard for a rookie to see in the picture. Make sure a radiologist reads it.

Well, at least now I can explain to Matt why I was bitching so much about doing push presses these past few months.

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure someone competent reads the x-ray.

Jordan, any lessons learned on rehabbing, beyond immobilization/ice?

Wrist hurt, wrist broke.

Other wrist injuries also escape detection with a certain distressing regularity. And some of the worst injuries to the wrist are not bony injuries, but soft tissues.

In any event: Wrist hurt = wrist broken, until proven otherwise.

Whether they see anything or not, the wrist should be immbolized and a repeat xray obtained in 10-12 days.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    Well, at least now I can explain to Matt why I was bitching so much about doing push presses these past few months.

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure someone competent reads the x-ray.

Jordan, any lessons learned on rehabbing, beyond immobilization/ice?
    I taped it with athletic tape then wore a 36" wrist wrap on top of it. I couldn't clean for a while, but snatches, deadlifts, squats, benches and presses were fine. I never did any ice or stretching.