starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working around idiots

Default Working around idiots

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach:

My son expressed some interest in lifting weights and I started him on your program this fall. Before we began, we had mandatory viewing of the Starting Strength video. I also have all your books, so I'm well versed in the plan.

Now he is getting ready to play high school baseball. Unfortunately his coach (who is a full time phys. ed and yoga teacher has the boys at mandatory weight training two times a week. I shit you not...this is the program he has the boys on:

They start with sprints
    Then they do 200 reps of abs (various exercises--mostly crunches)
    1 set of bench press
    1 set of squats
    1 set of curls
    1 set of tricep extensions
    1 set of dumbbell rows
    1 set of wrist curls
    1 set of overhead press
    1 set of cleans
    1 set of pushups
    1 set of pullups

This seems like an utter waste of time to me and I'm not sure how to proceed. Continue the SS program as written without variation? Encourage the kid to quit baseball (kidding)? Have the coach killed? Please advise.

Do you know what the term "sandbagging" means?

I deal with this all the time with the kids I train. Almost all of them have to go to the weight room under the guide of their sports coach at some point during the year. The programs are invariably worthless. I tell them to go and do the absolute bear minimum necessary to keep the coach happy without compromising their recovery for their actual training. This usually works out pretty well.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that I am sure many of these coaches think their programs work great when the kids performance on the field improves dramatically, when in reality, it has much more to do with the fact that their squat strength has doubled.

Why not just have your son just go light during the mandatory workouts and continue training as usual. It cant hurt. God knows kids these days need as much physical activity they can get.

What the actual fuck is wrong with this "coach"
    There is no resource on the planet that suggests that would have ANY benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    +10

Tonight my boys PR'd squats, 120 lbs 3 x 5, presses 60 lbs 3 x 5, and chins 10 (all the way to bar bumping their chests). Just two weeks ago they couldn't press 45, squat 60, or do 5 chins! I didn't do too bad tonight either--squatted 130, pressed 120, and did 10 chins bumping my chest too (after one of my boys got after me for cheating)! Not bad for 6 weeks post MI. And my cardiologist told me to quit lifting.

I can't describe to you the immense pleasure they feel with the progression they have made. It is one of the most gratifying bonding experiences of my life with them. They think their dad is so cool. I tell them it's you. Thank you Rip!

OP, don't quit the program!

This seems like an utter waste of time to me and I'm not sure how to proceed. Continue the SS program as written without variation? Encourage the kid to quit baseball (kidding)? Have the coach killed?
    I like how you added "kidding" to quitting baseball but not to killing the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    I've always known it to mean claiming to be a higher handicap than you actually are, in order to get strokes or more favorable seeding at a scramble or something. These "sandbaggers" are the scum of the universe, worse that rapists, terrorists, and rapacious terrorists.

You could always talk to the baseball coach. Non-confrontational, no abuse either way. Just ask him to explain why they're doing these exercises. Then lay out your exercises, and why you're doing them. Tell him where your ideas came from, and ask him where his came from. When talking to an idiot, you politely present it as an exchange of ideas between equals.

I wouldn't expect radical changes, but you might be surprised what actually talking to people achieves.

I would certainly as hell be surprised.

starting strength coach development program
    With anything, a person can help you, or they get can get out of your way. Talking to them usually at least gets them out of your way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast