starting strength gym
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip, how did you get so good at Chin-Ups?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We've fixed several doses of medial/lateral tendonitis with this method. Takes no longer than 3 weeks if it's going to work.
    That's weird, excessive volume on chinups has never fixed elbow pain for me, just caused it.

Neutral grip chinups have helped though, as have hammer curls.

Not weird at all. Not everything works for everybody, since things are not always as they seem.

We've fixed several doses of medial/lateral tendonitis with this method. Takes no longer than 3 weeks if it's going to work.
    I'm going to give something like 20x5 a go. Been battling medial/golfer's for a few months now. When it first started, was doing weighted chins but they became unbearable, swapped to unweighted pull-ups which were fine, then gradually reintroduced chins ... but started adding weight too soon and it began to flare up again. My gut tells me high volume, high frequency will be the ticket.

Out of curiosity, how long does 20 sets typically take you? Typically I deadlift first, bodyweight chin last I'd get 5 (warmup) 10,8,7 with 5 minutes rest, so I'd expect to get the first 10 or so of 5 sets in fairly comfortably, but I suspect I might need to ease up to 20 sets over a week or two.

Takes about an hour, since I walk about 150m between sets.

Search Function: pin firing
    The only threads I found that mentioned it were How to deal with first injury while adding weight? and Inaugural Starting Strength Coaches Association Conference.

Given what Wikipedia says about it (less than complementary, but also only talking about horses), that may just have been a joke that went over my head.

Okay Sean, just for you I'll summarize it again. Since you're so tall.

Pin firing is a very old technique for healing "bowed tendons" in horses. Many horses that are used hard and have longer pasterns are predisposed to flexor tendon problems, especially on the front. A valuable horse that develops this problem can either be saved or put down, since lameness renders a horse valueless for use. Centuries ago -- perhaps longer than that -- it was discovered that a series of burns made along either side of the flexor tendon just behind the cannon bone from knee to fetlock with a red-hot iron would produce a large inflammatory response in the whole distal leg -- a giant weepy mess of soreness. After a month or two, the systemic response in the burned tissue enveloped the entire structure, and the inflammatory process proceeded through the granulation stage and healed the entire structure, bowed tendon and all. In essence, this larger insult forced the local process through to completion.

In modern times, this procedure is considered inhumane, despite the fact that anesthesia renders it painless. Yet the number of squeamish women in the horse business nowadays has rendered the procedure obsolete. Our chinup protocol revisits the method, essentially pissing off the whole elbow to the extent that the tendonitis heals with the rest of the irritated tissue.

So you cause damage to the body to make the body heal itself, but in healing the areas that were damaged, the body inadvertently heals other problems in that area too, right?

Centuries ago -- perhaps longer than that -- it was discovered that a series of burns made along either side of the flexor tendon just behind the cannon bone from knee to fetlock with a red-hot iron would produce a large inflammatory response in the whole distal leg -- a giant weepy mess of soreness. After a month or two, the systemic response in the burned tissue enveloped the entire structure, and the inflammatory process proceeded through the granulation stage and healed the entire structure, bowed tendon and all. In essence, this larger insult forced the local process through to completion.
    I would love to talk to the guy who tried this first.

"So the horse was having problems with its flexor tendon?"

"Yep. So I burned the shit out of its cannon."

"...why...why would you do that?"

"I dunno. Worked, though."

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    So you cause damage to the body to make the body heal itself, but in healing the areas that were damaged, the body inadvertently heals other problems in that area too, right?
    Isn't that what I said?

Quote Originally Posted by dmworking View Post
    I would love to talk to the guy who tried this first.

"So the horse was having problems with its flexor tendon?"

"Yep. So I burned the shit out of its cannon."

"...why...why would you do that?"

"I dunno. Worked, though."
    These older people were pretty thoroughly tuned in to their particular situation.

starting strength coach development program
    Isn't that what I said?
    I'm never quite sure on anything I think/interpret, you should see me take a test, I go over the problem like 4 times and still wont be satisfied

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast