starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shit's getting real

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    The book will surprise you as it will benefit you in all areas of life. Now here is where I go off the rail Mike. For me man, being a 'Lifter' has transformed my life. The lessons I've learned over the years, self discovery, discipline, desire, patience (still working on that one), focus, attitude. All of which are transferable to all other areas of life.
    Some go to the gym to exercise which is fine.
    I go the gym to TRAIN.
    The difference is "ATTITUDE AND FOCUS"
    I disagree. Dr. Strossen's little book does not discuss the difference between training and working out really hard, and in my opinion is of minimal value to a serious trainee. It's been many years since I've read it, but I don't remember anything useful that I learned from it. The lessons you've learned are the result of your own experience. The difference is not attitude and focus, the difference is CORRECT PLANNING. I know lots of injured CrossFitters with attitude and focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Start using your brain to keep track. Wait under you no longer feel the previous set, and then wait another couple of minutes. This might be 12 minutes. It might be 15. We are not doing conditioning, and you should not be in a hurry. If you don't like "wasting" the time, do your bench/press warmups in the breaks.
    Thanks for the feedback, Coach. If I were to wait until I no longer feel the previous set, I wouldn't do the next set until sometime tomorrow, but point taken. I went from 5 to 7 minutes because I was really feeling the previous set with the shorter wait and I have no problem adding more time. It's not like anyone else is ever waiting to use the squat rack.

Any chance I'm overdoing my warmup sets or taking too big a jump between them? Yesterday I did 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 195 x 3, 235 x 2, 280 x 1, then work sets at 305.

-RJP

Something I've done now for awhile:
    I read my log the night before my training session.
    Me too, and sometimes the last 30 minutes before heading to the gym. I want to know and own the sets and reps. It's a good mental preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    Think about 2 a week - a heavy/intense and light - as described in PPST3 for old farts. The psychological relief of the light day is meaningful, and I'm still increasing the load.
    Also this. It is close to what I do now.

Week 1
    Sunday: Bench Press and Barbell Row.
    Thursday: Deadlift and DB Hammer Curls.

Week 2
    Sunday: OHP and Power Clean.
    Thursday: Squats, LTE's, and DB Hammer Curls.

While still challenging, having one day for the really heavy stuff like squats and deadlifts on alternating weeks allows for better recovery and a break from the much higher demands of the biggest of the big lifts when interspersed with the less demanding lifts.

I truly believe mental toughness and focus is a huge part of lifting.
    No doubt in my mind about that. A wandering mind with 300-plus pounds on your back (or worse, over your throat) can turn ugly real quick.

I guess my observation is not so much the need to really focus and mentally prepare as it was how sudden that need appeared. My squats at 300# were hard but 305# surprised me with how much harder it was. Same with deadlift; 315 went right up, 320 was a grind (not made any easier with a sudden pain in my bicep).

I've taken to talking to my self a bit. No one can hear because they all have their earphones in.

-RJP

I disagree. Dr. Strossen's little book does not discuss the difference between training and working out really hard, and in my opinion is of minimal value to a serious trainee. It's been many years since I've read it, but I don't remember anything useful that I learned from it. The lessons you've learned are the result of your own experience. The difference is not attitude and focus, the difference is CORRECT PLANNING. I know lots of injured CrossFitters with attitude and focus

Rip...I read the book a few times and what I got out of it was techniques used by lifters back in the day that gave them an edge in their sport. I don't think it was intended to be anything more than that.

I never said it was a game changer or a substitute for proper programming. IMO in order to be a complete lifter I need to utilize my mind as well as my body.
    I assumed those reading on this forum where already using sound programming. Having said that, just because one is using sound programming doesn't mean they can't benefit from understanding how by utilizing our minds can provide an edge.

I would agree the lessons we learn are in our personal experience. No doubt about. I beat that drum all the time especially when I read a lot of crap about science and theory.
    But I don't recall saying I learned LESSONS from reading his book. What I say was there are things I learned that where transferable to everyday life.

Insert the cliche but true "it doesn't get easier, you just get stronger" phrase here. Yes the training sessions do become mind-numbingly hard once you get to weights that are outside of your comfort zone and managing your mental recovery becomes just as important as managing your physical recovery.

There is a point where psyching up for every single set will start to wear on you and may begin to affect your performance. This is why planning, as Rip said, becomes an important factor of training. Whether it be a planned light day or recycling of weights at the end of a intense training cycle, you do need to find appropriate ways to let off the gas a bit while also not detraining.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Any chance I'm overdoing my warmup sets or taking too big a jump between them? Yesterday I did 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 195 x 3, 235 x 2, 280 x 1, then work sets at 305.
    This is about right, although I always use the closest common loading, e.g. 45, 135, 185, 225, 275, 305.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    No doubt in my mind about that. A wandering mind with 300-plus pounds on your back (or worse, over your throat) can turn ugly real quick.
    This is why most people learn to focus after the first experience with a wandering mind. Self-preservation.

Start using your brain to keep track. Wait under you no longer feel the previous set, and then wait another couple of minutes. This might be 12 minutes. It might be 15. We are not doing conditioning, and you should not be in a hurry. If you don't like "wasting" the time, do your bench/press warmups in the breaks.
    Would you recommend this approach for Texas Method Volume Days as well?

I think I already have.

starting strength coach development program
    I am a 47 y.o. Brit (5'8", 175lbs) on a 531 routine at the mo. I have found that smelling salts are good for the heaviest set - most recently squats at 154kg x5 (340lbs) - particularly if I am training in the afternoon after an early duty at work. The salts clear the listlessness and I take on the set like a recently irritated David Banner (of the "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" fame, not the rapper).

I take a timed 15 minutes rest between work sets and have done so since mid-way through SS LP. I train at home and the long rest gives me time to do simple house chores for my missus who then gives me less grief for spending half our marriage in the garage (which rhymes if you speak the Queen's English - maybe I am a rapper!).

Since starting 531 the other factor which has aided (maybe even driven) my progression is recovery between sessions - a rotation takes 10 days, so the gains come more slowly, but I get fewer injury niggles. This was a process of titration - 7 day rotations didn't work, especially when I was working night duties and sleeping/eating poorly - and it took me a while to work out that it wasn't overtraining that was the problem, it was under-recovery.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast