starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Strength and Sprinting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
    An even more general statement that is still pretty much universally true:
    If men are better at a sport than women, then strength helps performance.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Interesting link and graph here. Personal bests don't often come after 30 in this data set.

The Gatlin dilemma | The Science of Sport
    Strength training and steroids. Our Korean friend's opinion notwithstanding, "recovery" from sprints makes you stronger. If you are recovered, what happens to force production? Is sprinting a force dependent activity, or not? If it is, strength is critical. Steroids make you stronger. Quarter-squats and no deadlifts do not. These guys do not consider the fact that Gatlin may be getting stronger, in one or two different ways. But to accuse him of drug use when he may well have just learned how to train is typical of people who don't know how to train, and who have no experience with making people stronger under the bar.

- At the elite levels, strength work is not as big a factor as genetics, but getting strong helps you run faster (so steroids and strength training can help you run faster)
    - Strength should affect your ability to sprint MORE than it affects your performance in the SVJ because you can accumulate momentum

Not sure how i'd use this information if I was the owner of a high school oriented "speed school" or a D1/Olympic coach. I suppose I'd have my athletes squats and do some sprints.
    You'd have them deadlift too. Low back strength -- the ability to maintain lumbar extension -- is critical for effectively supporting explosive hip extension. Critical.

I'm interested in the comment about relative segment length and speed. So if your tibia was longer than your femur, that would be an advantage because your the shorter femur strokes, power a longer tibia lever? Kind of like the longer the arm of a trebuchet, the longer the rock goes?
    Simple leverage situation. Draw a longer femur and look at the difference in the work done at the hip. Which is easier, and which is the more efficient use of muscle mass?

Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    No.Usain bolt's technique is tremendously improved in since 2007.It's not my opinion,It's true like most coachs and other athletes agreed.He ran ugly before get a correct posture and mechanics.
    Again, the question is how did he run so fast BEFORE. If his technique was so awful.

I think that's not relevant with a 'Top' sprinter like Usain bolt....
    When in combination with the fact that his 'coach''s most notable qualification is that of an admitted PED dealer, administrator and expert in avoiding detection to world champion athletes it is.

they can't take a drugs considering that they are ....always monitored by the WADA
    Unless you have a proven expert in doing this and beating wada monitoring.

But the one thing i know is that just suspecting the other's achievement is not good for mental health and progress in real life.
    Being realistic is always healthy. If it's based only on envy then i'd agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

You'd have them deadlift too. Low back strength -- the ability to maintain lumbar extension -- is critical for effectively supporting explosive hip extension. Critical.
    ...fuck yes on this... I did sprint intervals for a while (flat and hills)...my lower erectors would get so pumped/fatigued/tight . . .after 20 minutes I'd be walking around in a "hyper lordorsis" state until my back calmed down. . .thought I was doing something wrong.

Again, the question is how did he run so fast BEFORE. If his technique was so awful.
    So you wondering that does he can run world record with an awful technique with a drug? Maybe he could because he has an untouchable talent that even couldn't realized by anyone who took a drugs?
    One thing his respectful thing is that he developed technique that most well defined in the sprinting world.
    And I think this type of wondering you can anytime that i've seen many times on the youtube replys are not different like "Illya Illin is on the drugs,he got a world recrod with a drugs despite his awful technique" Though wondering is freedom.

When in combination with the fact that his 'coach''s most notable qualification is that of an admitted PED dealer, administrator and expert in avoiding detection to world champion athletes it is.
    Unless you have a proven expert in doing this and beating wada monitoring.
    I know his coach one of the most notable one in the world.Does this mean that he took a drug with fact is just notable man?and how do you explain he passed the random drug test more than 12 times in year? Just imagine you are a worldclass athletes that 365days are monitored by the WADA due to your insane performance and your coach is most notable coach. How can you do cycle on and cycle off the drugs by the this random test that considering they feel really mad to catch the bolt since 2008? How could athletes prove his innocent anymore? Do they live with a 365days with a WADA tester or Do they need an analyzing all of his organ?

Being realistic is always healthy. If it's based only on envy then i'd agree with you.
    Please define the realistic.

All makes a lot of sense. It would be interesting to know what's going in Mr. G's training these days. I hope its smart programming and hard work and have enough perspective to know thats possible and applaudable.

This program you recommend sounds shockingly familiar...

Seems like the femur to tibia ratio is less important than the absolute length of the femur. Makes sense when you think about the work. Thanks much!

Absolutely.
    How much would you need to deadlift for this? Would sprinting really challenge your ability to maintain an extended lower back?

No, Kregna, nothing I say is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Would sprinting really challenge your ability to maintain an extended lower back?
    Have you never even run for the train?

No, Kregna, nothing I say is true.
    Even that statement?

starting strength coach development program
    how do you explain he passed the random drug test more than 12 times in year? Just imagine you are a worldclass athletes that 365days are monitored by the WADA due to your insane performance and your coach is most notable coach. How can you do cycle on and cycle off the drugs by the this random test
    I thought that was already clear. Firstly by hiring someone who knows how. Secondly by a 'no show'. How many has he had? We aren't told when that happens. Thirdly you'll be slower with anabolics in your system at the competition. Also using something that isn't detectable or tested for. There are legal 'supplements' that have no effective test.

that considering they feel really mad to catch the bolt since 2008?
    Why do you think this? There'd be nothing worse for the IOC than him failing.

Please define the realistic.
    "having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast