starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Issues Not Allowing Low Bar Position‏

Default Shoulder Issues Not Allowing Low Bar Position‏

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Mark Rippetoe,

First I wanted to say I'm a huge fan of your book, I got it off of Amazon. I've watched a ton of your videos as well.

I have a strange issue with my left shoulder in that it's not able to go back far enough without serious pain to accommodate a low bar position for the squat. I can however get it back JUST enough for a high bar squat position. I've tried pushing it a few times, but it only results in a lot of pain on my teres minor and infraspinatus, but again this is only happening on the left hand side.

I am in the process of getting this issue sorted out with my left shoulder through physical therapy, massage and acupuncture, but in the meantime, I don't want to discontinue squatting.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I might be causing some serious damage if the pain is this severe, so I'm not willing to do the low bar position until I fix my shoulder, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice on an alternative until I can get back to the low bar position?

Thanks again for your endless knowledge.

Sincerely,

Jason

You have to squat, so put the bar on your traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have to squat, so put the bar on your traps.
    Thank you for your reply. I figured this was likely the going to be the case.

Do you have any videos or sections in your book where you describe the proper dynamics of the high bar squat?

Check out this thread for a possible solution http://startingstrength.com/resource...r-handles.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have to squat
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1987 View Post
    Do you have any videos or sections in your book where you describe the proper dynamics of the high bar squat?
    No, because a high-bar squat is not a proper squat.

Have you tried doing shoulder dislocates?

With a PVC pipe do 5 sets of 5, hands as far apart as they need to be. Whenever you can, try to move your hands in a little closer.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was starting to get the idea that I was being told to f*** off because I can't low bar squat.... some of us have shoulder problems. That's life.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1987 View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. I was starting to get the idea that I was being told to f*** off because I can't low bar squat.... some of us have shoulder problems. That's life.
    I've struggled with converting to low bar. My shoulders don't want to cooperate. I do a bunch a stretching like dislocates. It is getting better but with heavy loads it is very uncomfortable. I won't give up on them just yet.
    If you can only HBS than thats what you do. Just make sure you've done everything you can to learn how to LBS before you give up on them.

Low bar squat is the preferred technique for strength training and powerlifting

starting strength coach development program
    Try taking a wider grip. It isn't ideal but I do that more because of my long arms and invariably bent wrists. Start light - deload and work your way through it slowly. It will come to the point where you can get the bar in place without pain. Likely slightly uncomfortable, but not painful. I switched to low bar exclusively a little while ago and my knees are thanking me. Even as I write this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast