starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Should be Good For a Laugh or Two....

Default This Should be Good For a Laugh or Two....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

I saw this on Instapundit. At least the comments on the OP are reflective of the correct awareness.

Except for this guy:

Indiana Mike
    Excellent post. Lift as much as you want because it's good for you in almost all ways and WAY better than running, bicycling, etc. But lift weight sensibly, NO heavy deadlifts or squats.

Indiana Mike
    You made the classic layman's mistake of equating your previous muscular pain with ALL back pain. The reason your lower back hurts now AFTER a heavy workout is most likely facet inflammation, or mild chronic discopathy. You can do with your body whatever you wish, but you should be VERY careful about HEAVY deadlifts or squats, especially past age 60 for God's sake. Isolated muscle group exercise is fine, most body building lifts are ok. but heavy power lifting, especially at an advanced age, is a recipe for disaster. I've had young, strong men, in their mid 30's, present with degenerative joint disease from heavy power lifting. Even had a few with Grade 1, and Grade 2, Spondylolithesis caused by dead lifts.

The knee cave by the female trainee during the first movement coached in the video (jumping squats) made me cringe.

Presumably, the Moshe in the video is the same guy referenced in the article. He is not as described in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    Presumably, the Moshe in the video is the same guy referenced in the article. He is not as described in the article.
    Well it did say he had "muscles to spare", so maybe he spared them.

Fat person: "She is obsessed with her body. I am healthy."
    Poor person: "Money is evil."
    Person who looks like Moshe: "Lifting weights is bad for you, which is why looking like me is actually better."

Same song, different verse. Pay no heed.

Comments section is priceless ... most are humorous bashings of the article.

. . .this one, seems one of ours?

Health related fitness is not just about looking good, although it's a nice perk. I will give you two reasons why the authors reasoning is bogus besides the fact he draws his conclusion from his observation that "seriously buff [yoga] dudes" on the beach do not lift weights.

1.) Sarcopenia. As we age, we loose muscle mass AND our muscle changes its composition so that we have higher proportion of slow twitch muscle fibers to fast twitch muscle fibers. What does this actually mean? It means that as we age our ability to produce maximal force substantially. In the long run, this will limit our ability to function indepently, walk several flights of stares, swim out past the break, hike that trail that we love. Weight training slows the progression of Sarcopenia and helps us hold onto our power - yoga mostly trains muscular endurance, not strength and power.
    2.) Osteoporosis. Weight training causes remodeling of the bones so that they become more dense (stronger) in the direction of the aplied load. Their have been plenty of studies that have demonstrated that Yoga is not an effective way to fight the loss of bone density with aging. One study done at my school, California State University Long Beach, showed that women who did nothing but yoga on a regular basis had roughly the same bone density as women who were COMPLETELY sedentary.

I'm not knocking yoga, it's facilitates neuromuscular coordination and postural control. It's a great component to a fitness program, but it does not supplant the benifits of weight training!

Speaking of humour:

https://youtu.be/fspZiT8TdBE

In most cases I know the answer but with guys like Bernie, I'm always left to wonder...."Do they actually believe this bullshit? Or is it just a shameless appeal to the child-like emotions of their constituency?"

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Speaking of humour:

https://youtu.be/fspZiT8TdBE
    Could somebody explain to me just how it might seem to anybody that choices equate to poverty? Waste due to competition? Does consumption of deodorant miraculously rise to unnecessary heights when there are more choices? Why would somebody think this?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast