starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vertical jump misleading

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out. I wish I had a video to send you, or something. Perhaps I really am that outlier who can display some explosiveness, but not under load... Which honestly doesn't make any sense, especially knowing what you've said about the relationship between power and strength.

Do you think it would be worth taking another svj test? I suppose it wouldn't matter, since I'm getting the results in training that I would either way, not to mention I haven't started power cleaning yet since my deadlift keeps going up for some reason. My power has not kept up with my strength I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Then I don't know, have seen neither you, the SVJ, nor the lifting.
    Would it be worth sending you a video of working set of 5 with the squat? I just had my squat critiqued by Michael Wolf a couple weeks ago, said there was some knee slide and that the camera angle was crappy. I dunno what would be helpful information-wise besides that or coming to your gym, which I sincerely wish I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Forgot to add that while the reach was 89, the jump was 132, which is actually more that 31 total, including the shrugged arm which did occur, according to my notes that I took 8 or 9 years ago... crazy that I still have that and other old sports stuff in that box.

I don't understand how I could hang on the rim of a basketball hoop but have such a wimpy first day training. I was pretty wimpy back then, I guess... 10 percent bf and 145 lbs if I remember right.. pretty skinny, pretty light... not sure if that matters though.
    90 minus 130 is 40... You had a 43 to 40 vertical? You could touch 11 feet from standing with only simple counter movement?...so then you stand there and half ass dunk the ball with it sort of semi-palmed? With a running VJ ...two hand windmills? Etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    90 minus 130 is 40... You had a 43 to 40 vertical? You could touch 11 feet from standing with only simple counter movement?...so then you stand there and half ass dunk the ball with it sort of semi-palmed? With a running VJ ...two hand windmills? Etc?
    Oops, I meant 121, not 131. Thank you for pointing that out. Hah, 131, I wish! No windmills, but I could dunk in college from a run and jump. Could get my fingers just enough over the rim from a standstill jump to hang on it. Not super impressive, but definitely strange than I didn't start out squatting more.

starting strength coach development program
    There is NO WAY in hell that a 6 foot person has an 89" reach (7'5). For reference I'm 5'9 with a 5'7 wingspan (t rex arms) and a 7'4 reach. Go measure your reach again. A normal reach for a 6 foot person is 7'11-8'1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12