starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tabata

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    Tabata is supposed to be VERY high intensity. You are not supposed to be able to do more than 4 minutes. At the end of the 4th interval, you should be seriously doubting whether you can do all 8. At the end of the 8th, you should be falling on the ground and hoping not to vomit.

I did Tabata running sprints for a few months (1-3 times per week). I then ran 10+ miles with hardly any other training for the proceeding year or so. Based on my experience, Tabata training is effective but it's also brutally difficult.

Although I wasn't doing SS at the time, this level of intensity must negatively impact strength training.
    To be clear I indicated I am using a stationary bike, seated on level 11. I pedal my ass off for 20 - rest 10. 4 rounds. Then I stand level 17 pedal my ass off for 20 rest 10 for 4 rounds. I do this for 10 minutes 2 x's a week.

Keep in mind, that for about 16 months prior to returning to BB training, I did nothing but HIT, I did a class called Strike Zone. Each session was about 60 minutes (no rest), I did this 3x's a week. We used heavy bag work, kettlebells, burpees, pushups, mountain climbers, bw pull ups etc.

So once I started to BB train, I kept HIT in my training as much as I could.

For A time I would do various 'finishers' for 7 - 12 minutes at the end of a workout.

You are correct that Tabata is based on 4 minutes but if you go to this site and others there are variations that use the 20/10 for longer periods.

Link removed.

I only have my personal experience to rely on.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 07-06-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Link removed. I thought I already said that.

Lou, you may very well in good enough shape to do this.

But I (and the others?) think alot of people mis-interpret how you are supposed to be doing 'HIIT' and/or 'Tabata'.
    I (we?) don't think many others realize what max effort is. . . .or how shitty a TRUE Tabata workout is supposed to be.

I do my prowler 20 sec full hard max sprint w/ 200# of weight . . .then complete rest 1:40.
    I can't imagine doing 20 sec ON / 10 sec OFF for 4 minutes . . .not at that intensity.
    Either you'd have to start striping load off ea round (which might be OK I guess)
    . . . .OR, your "sprints" would look like "dead-man walking" in four rounds . . . which I think, may not be really optimal.

Alot of people are just doing "Intervals" and calling it HIIT or Tabata.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Lou, you may very well in good enough shape to do this.

But I (and the others?) think alot of people mis-interpret how you are supposed to be doing 'HIIT' and/or 'Tabata'.
    I (we?) don't think many others realize what max effort is. . . .or how shitty a TRUE Tabata workout is supposed to be.

I do my prowler 20 sec full hard max sprint w/ 200# of weight . . .then complete rest 1:40.
    I can't imagine doing 20 sec ON / 10 sec OFF for 4 minutes . . .not at that intensity.
    Either you'd have to start striping load off ea round (which might be OK I guess)
    . . . .OR, your "sprints" would look like "dead-man walking" in four rounds . . . which I think, may not be really optimal.

Alot of people are just doing "Intervals" and calling it HIIT or Tabata.
    I agree.
    may we can agree on this;
    I shouldn't assume what works for me could be broadly applied and at the same time we shouldn't broadly apply that some method can't work on an individual basis.

If you understood that God bless

Lou, I think this is a bit like the ol' "do 20 reps with your 10rm" business.

If you're doing 10 minutes of Tabata-style (20:10) intervals, then you're not following the Tabata protocol. At all. And your experience is likely not relevant to someone who is considering using the actual Tabata protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post

If you're doing 10 minutes of Tabata-style (20:10) intervals, then you're not following the Tabata protocol. At all. And your experience is likely not relevant to someone who is considering using the actual Tabata protocol.
    Exactly.

Doesn't matter who you are or how strong or fit or whatever, it's simply impossible to correctly perform Tabata for longer than 4 minutes, much in the same way no one on the planet no matter how strong can do their 5 rep max deadlift for 20 sets of 5

I think you may have missed something or I fid a poor job of defining this.
    my intention was to state that in my experience I've done many variations of and including strict Tabata protocol.
    currently I use the 20/10 which is based on Tabata.

If you go to Tabata website you will find there is more than one way to utilize this method.

So the question was regarding negative effects using tabata. I stated during the times and in the various ways I used it I didn't see any measurable negative effects.

I also shared the OP needs to be intellegent about what exercises to use. I used the example of not doing hill sprint as they will tax more of his cns.

If someones experience is not relevant where does that leave someone else's opinion without experience?

I suppose if there are lots of Tabata protocols, then I was indeed missing something. I've been in this scene online for about 7 years now, and I've never heard someone reference Tabata and mean anything but 20:10x8 @ max intensity.

Except for the silly Crossfit spin on it...

I think that the question of relevance is valid. 4 minutes of extremely high intensity will have a different impact on recovery than 10 minutes of necessarily lower intensity.

What that difference might be, I don't know. You might, but you haven't really told us yet.

"a cardio junky"

OT, but the OP did mention it.

And it's exactly right. Intense cardio exercise produces an endorphin rush, similar to the sort of thing cocaine, speed, and the opiates produce. It can be addictive, I'm told. I experience a minor version of it after my geezer bike rides. I say minor, because I'd rank meth or cocaine as a major version of it - dunno about the opiates, they were never a thing for me. I liked my ups, not my downs.

I suppose if there are lots of Tabata protocols, then I was indeed missing something. I've been in this scene online for about 7 years now, and I've never heard someone reference Tabata and mean anything but 20:10x8 @ max intensity.

Except for the silly Crossfit spin on it...

I think that the question of relevance is valid. 4 minutes of extremely high intensity will have a different impact on recovery than 10 minutes of necessarily lower intensity.

What that difference might be, I don't know. You might, but you haven't really told us yet.
    I'm not sure how to answer that I'm just a guy with some history other than to repeat that I didn't nor haven't seen any material difference in strength gains in my training.

My suggestion to someone interested in doing this is to start out conservatively and pay attention to their log. No different than if they wanted to make any material changes to their training.

I'm sure if someone went out today and adding this to their training right out of the gate, it would have some kind of impact depending on their current condition.

There is 1 tabata protocol based on 20/10, but it can be used in a number of ways. On the website they have a 30 minute full body routine as an example.

Someone could use a very low impact exercise like a stationary bike, which is what I am using and do 4 minutes. If they are going to push a sled with 200 lbs. I think there will be an immediate impact to their recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Quick View Post
    "a cardio junky"

OT, but the OP did mention it.

And it's exactly right. Intense cardio exercise produces an endorphin rush, similar to the sort of thing cocaine, speed, and the opiates produce. It can be addictive, I'm told. I experience a minor version of it after my geezer bike rides. I say minor, because I'd rank meth or cocaine as a major version of it - dunno about the opiates, they were never a thing for me. I liked my ups, not my downs.
    I don't feel this way about "intense cardio" what so ever.
    When I drag the prowler out to the street, while rolling the weights out there, I get all apprehensive and "gloomy" . . . . knowing that the next 12-16 minutes is going to suck.
    I really don't enjoy it. . . . .maybe the first two rounds, but after that no, not at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast