starting strength gym

Thread: brain explosion?

Default brain explosion?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip

Competed in my fist comp yesterday (don't ask)....it was a real struggle.

My face now appears to be badly sunburned in patches.....and it looks like someone punched me in the eye, which did not happen.

I go very red in the face while lifting but never this bad and never last to the next day. Is this just some burst blood vessels? Is it on normal (for some) after a major effort and should I be concerned?

I can't see you from here. Maybe a photo?

NO photos.......but if go and look out a west facing window at 7pm I'll go down to the beach. You might need to stand on a chair or something as I am way way west.

It's going away now but thought you might have encountered something similar.

It's probably a bunch of broken capillaries. But I cannot see from here.

Nearly every time I squat heavy I get tons of presumably little broken blood vessels or capillaries or whatever all over my face, neck, and upper traps. It goes away within 24 hours or so. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/sqAk80W.jpg. I actually posted a question to Rip here about a year ago. It's never hurt me or affected anything, so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    My face now appears to be badly sunburned in patches.....and it looks like someone punched me in the eye, which did not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's probably a bunch of broken capillaries.
    If you're like me, Rip's right. I've had it happen a few times. It's usually due to improperly holding the valsalva and pressing the air into the mouth instead of against a closed glottis.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all.

I expected it was just broken capillaries, but not sure if that was of concern.

Sean, my first squat was a horror and improper valsalva was the least of my failings. Forgot everything learned in the books, these forums, with coaches and a year in the gym.