starting strength gym
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip do you agree with Crowder's views on Muslims?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Regarding the poll question: of course it can be justifiable to target or kill civilians. Civilians can be guilty of certain actions that result in their justifiable killing. For example, if a group of armed robbers break into my house, I am completely justified in shooting them. I assume the intent was to gauge attitudes towards terrorism, which I think the question sucks at.

Also, how would you define Islamophobia? There has been a significant increase of Americans that identify as non-relgious and atheist over the past 20-30 years. I think religion is pretty dumb *gasp* and burdensome on the advancement of human beings in regards to intelligence and freedom. Does this cast me as an Islamophobe?

American attitudes to atheism/atheists, has always ranked atheists as the least (or one of the least) liked and trustworthy groups/types of people. Personally, the Atheistophobia in America is noticeable, but improving. Also, I'm not a big fan of attaching "phobia" on the ends of things.

Also, while acknolweding the significance of socio-cultural influences on the identity of a person and groups of people, cultural traditions have a lot of really stupid shit attached to them, and individuals that oppose said stupidity were probably outcast from those cultures...so basically, if this turns into an issue of not judging cultures, fuck that noise, because humans beings are human beings, and we sometimes do some really terrible and stupid shit.

Lastly, its not just the Wahhabi shit that is fucked up. These are my important contributions to the internet. I would like to thank Mark Rippetoe for providing the bandwidth, and my husband Gilchrest for washing the dishes, and helping me with my night terrors.
    I define islamophobia as a hatred and fear of someone just because they're Muslim. While I certainly agree that tons of dimwits are phobic of atheism, the level at which that is the case pales in comparison to islamophobia. I've seen the results of polls which indicate that gays, atheists, and muslims are the least liked people in America. The difference however is that there are countless muslim-hate websites and the people that hate Muslims hate them much more than the degree to which other people hate atheists. Also, many Muslims are easily identifiable by their names or appearances, while the same cannot be said for atheists or gays. I would argue that conceptually Islamophobia and homophobia are the two strongest phobias present in the fabric of our society, but this thread is only about one of those things. About Atheistophobia--Americans may dislike atheists, but they do not hate or fear them to the same level as Muslims.

Read this:Islamophobia: Understanding Anti-Muslim Sentiment in the West
    You would have to actually be a part of Muslim American society to feel the level of hate that comes at them from the outside on a regular basis. See this for example:

You are not an Islamophobe. People that are against religion can be against it without blindly hating on the people who follow religions. I agree that religion is not good for the human race overall and I think that in a few hundred years it'll be pretty much gone.

About the Wahhabi shit. The vast majority of Islamic terrorists follow some sort of Salafi or Wahhabi ideology--this is a fact. ISIS, boko haram, Al Qaeda, etc are all Salafi/Wahhabi groups. These sects have swelled up in size in the last 15 years of war though because they seem more attractive now. I don't think i've ever met a Salafi/Wahhabi Muslim in my life though lol, so it's not very common in America.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Also, I'm not a big fan of attaching "phobia" on the ends of things.
    That's just your phobiaphobia talking.

And while we're on the subject of opinion polls, this is one of my favourites (and I suspect one of the most accurate):

Of those religions represented in that chart, how many flew airplanes into civilian office buildings, downed a civilian plane, strapped on a bomb vest and blew themselves up in a civilian market, mothers that blew themselves up while holding their babies?

Furthermore, how many Muslims united against the "extremists" and rooted out the "small number" from their populations to face justice?

Oh wait, only Americanized Muslims are represented. Shocking that they have more civilized values than those in the Middle East.

Dang it, I must be an islamophobe.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I would argue that conceptually Islamophobia and homophobia are the two strongest phobias present in the fabric of our society,
    Absolute bullshit. The strongest phobia currently operating in our society is racistophobia, the fear of being labeled a racist. And then there's climatechangedenierphobia, the fear of being perceived as a climate change denier. Gays and Moslems don't scare me, nosirree, not one little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frayedknot View Post
    Of those religions represented in that chart, how many flew airplanes into civilian office buildings, downed a civilian plane, strapped on a bomb vest and blew themselves up in a civilian market, mothers that blew themselves up while holding their babies? Furthermore, how many Muslims united against the "extremists" and rooted out the "small number" from their populations to face justice?
    You are not playing nicely. I'm still waiting for our Moslem friend to explain Crowder's views to us, so we can finally make up our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frayedknot View Post
    Oh wait, only Americanized Muslims are represented. Shocking that they have more civilized values than those in the Middle East.
    I lived in the UAE (Abu Dhabi) for two years, which is arguably the most liberal of all the Muslim majority countries and also has the most diverse range of nationalities living there.

Non Muslims are second class citizens and you get prison time for things like flipping the bird to someone. It will go VERY poorly for you if you call "bullshit" on any aspect of Islam. Dubai just passed another religious "freedom" law recently, which sounds great unless you have a clue and know that it is only another law that makes religion free from criticism.

One of the worst aspects of the culture in the middle east is the mentality that insult equates with injury. I wouldn't say that this is limited to muslims, but Islam does reinforce it directly through it's teachings.

Many of my muslim friends disagree with these sort of things, but it was not uncommon for THEM to make statements like "I'm not afraid of Islam, but I am afraid of muslims". That jem was from an Algerian (ethnic)/British (nationality) woman who had done the equivalent of seminary level Islamic studies and was teaching classes there for the expats.

My question was, and still is, are their liberal views in spite of Islam or because of it?

Much of the extremist crap we see on the news is not really an accurate portrayal of Islam, but sadly it seems to be a question of protocol rather than ideals. My friends wouldn't kill me over saying "Muhammad is a homo", but a lot of the reason why may very well be that it would amount to vigilantism, not so much because they disagree that I would deserve punishment.

I didn't meet a single muslim who didn't want Sharia law to spread everywhere. They may disagree on the specifics of what that would look like, but that warrants a bit of concern on my part.

That said, I think that the idea that muslims want to destroy the US is pretty much akin to me wanting to have sex with a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader at 12 years old: Not only wasn't i doing anything about it, but I wasn't up for the job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Absolute bullshit. The strongest phobia currently operating in our society is racistophobia, the fear of being labeled a racist. And then there's climatechangedenierphobia, the fear of being perceived as a climate change denier. Gays and Moslems don't scare me, nosirree, not one little bit.
    classic. So unbelievably true - seems like every day somebody new is walking the plank ( Cowherd and Hogan the latest )

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I agree with the racist phobia part, but I've never come across a climate change denier who didn't proudly proclaim that position.

Lol, this is an utterly tired right-wing talking point for the last 15 years. Look up who has been responsible for the vast majority of mass killings in the last 15 years in the Western world.

Quote Originally Posted by saqadri9c View Post
    Lol, this is an utterly tired right-wing talking point for the last 15 years. Look up who has been responsible for the vast majority of mass killings in the last 15 years in the Western world.
    Do we have to leave out the 3000 people in Manhattan?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    Right--because it's exactly the same thing.
    Supporting and identifying with your coreligionists to settle scores with the bloody Prods in Ulster, you mean? At least the American Irish didn't drop their shit where they ate. All that violence got contracted out across the Atlantic.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast