starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unnatural gains questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    Was this the event where these "elite" fitnessers struggled to snatch 155 lbs for a single rep, a weight that my fat, slow, not very bright, aesthetically deficient ass can sloppily power snatch for at least a double?
    Are you comparing your lifts to women who weigh much less than you who are already badly fatigued from previous events? If so, bravo.

If strength is the most important thing then it opens up the door to suggest that anything that increases strength is okay. Starting Strength is a great system for moving the barbell and getting strong, but that system fits into a larger one: living. Because of that, it needs to address questions about how it works hand in hand with nutrition, supplements, competition, illness, physiology. That is what is great about the forum setting, it can help fill those gaps. But to do that, discussion has to be productive. It has to come to conclusions where the end result is a better life overall.

There is nothing different about defining the movement of a bar, use of TRT, chemotherapy, or protein, or anything else. These are human problems and do have answers. The problem is when we don't answer them. I know because I was on the other end of it more than most.

I don't think you give yourself enough credit. There are a lot of opportunities to improve, just like strength training before it reached the level of definition in Starting Strength.

That starts with questions and discussion. And if anyone can supplement that discussion with experience and knowledge, it's you, so long as the goal is to figure it out. If not you, fill the gap with someone who does have that experience.

But don't deny that we can figure it out. You have too much more to offer.

In other words...

Mark, can you please re-write your books to reflect my own personal philosophy, whether you agree with it or not? I will also require editorial approval before publishing to ensure that adequate attention is devoted to the ideas which are important to me. Your own thoughts can be put forth in the Appendix.

Thanks!
    Michael BMT

Quote Originally Posted by Michael BMT View Post
    If strength is the most important thing then it opens up the door to suggest that anything that increases strength is okay. Starting Strength is a great system for moving the barbell and getting strong, but that system fits into a larger one: living. Because of that, it needs to address questions about how it works hand in hand with nutrition, supplements, competition, illness, physiology. That is what is great about the forum setting, it can help fill those gaps. But to do that, discussion has to be productive. It has to come to conclusions where the end result is a better life overall.
    So you're suggesting that SS:BBT, PPST, SE, MOMG, and the articles and SSC videos on the SS site don't address issues of nutrition, supplementation, illness, competition, or physiology?

Are we reading the same material?

(So... Michael BMT comes out the gate fighting, making nonsense assertions in inflammatory and flowery language? I put my money on troll- probably a repeat offender)

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Michael BMT View Post
    There is nothing different about defining the movement of a bar, use of TRT, chemotherapy, or protein, or anything else. These are human problems and do have answers. The problem is when we don't answer them. I know because I was on the other end of it more than most.
    Well, nothing different except for the expertise required to describe it in any meaningful detail. Rip knows barbells and training because they've been his job for nearly 40 years. Are you suggesting that Rip should make definitive recommendations on TRT, chemotherapy, or nutritional intake to specific people?

Sounds like a recipe for bad advice. And I feel like someone in the SSC cabal once spoke about potential legal issues with stuff like that as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Are you comparing your lifts to women who weigh much less than you who are already badly fatigued from previous events? If so, bravo.
    I've got to be smugly superior to somebody.

starting strength coach development program
    Genetics play a huge part in how people look after weight training. Just look at a guy like Bostin Loyd. He openly shares his steroid cycles, where he takes MASSIVE amounts of gear. Yet he isn't anywhere near the pro level. Then you have guys like Lee Priest that took much less (a pretty mild cycle really), and he looked way better than Bostin in his prime. You can sort of extrapolate the same thing with people who take no gear vs those that are just taking a little bit and still beating the tests. This is why is really is a gray area, and you shouldn't be just randomly accusing everyone that succeeds in sports with taking drugs.

That being said, since it is illegal to use this stuff in the US, I can understand why people aren't bragging it up on the internet. Lots of pro bodybuilders come clean later in life, but I respect why they didn't say anything while they were actually using the stuff. So Michael BMT, just relax and let it go! :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234