starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prowler substitute: reel mower

Default Prowler substitute: reel mower

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

You ever use a reel mower? I got one of these, hoping to get some prowler-like work in and accomplish some yard work at the same time.

http://www.fiskars.ca/Products/Yard-...lus-Reel-Mower

Turns out it's not as much cardio as I'd hoped, but it is fun. My kids fight over who gets to use it.

Your yard is obviously not big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your yard is obviously not big enough.
    Totally. I cut my dad's front lawn with one a few weeks ago when I was visiting him, and it was incredibly hard. I was grabbing my knees and huffing for air every 2 passes by the end. Definitely not the worst possible stand-in for prowler work.

I've used a similar model for a couple of years. Let your grass grow a little longer for more of a workout. Also, try pushing it faster.

I've thought about adding some weight to the unit. It would be more of a workout and it would provide the telltale lines in your lawn that signal that you've cut your grass. It turns out, without those lines most people can't tell that the grass has just been cut.

The shorter grass is an insufficient indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The shorter grass is an insufficient indicator?
    Yes, unless the grass was unusually long before cutting. The mower has hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon but the lack of mower lines is one of the common complaints.

I can't believe somebody still makes those.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphopapotamus View Post
    I can't believe somebody still makes those.
    I've had one for 5 years. It's not the same brand. I hate it.

It's not the least bit difficult to push. I can't see how this could possibly be a sub for a prowler. Maybe the other brand is harder to push?

The problem is that it doesn't cut for shit if the grass gets just a little high. It just slicks it down for a second or two. . . . If I go out of town I end up having to mow by hand when I get back. Good thing my yard is small.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Totally. I cut my dad's front lawn with one a few weeks ago when I was visiting him, and it was incredibly hard. I was grabbing my knees and huffing for air every 2 passes by the end. Definitely not the worst possible stand-in for prowler work.

I used that type on my dad's lawn when I was a kid. ha HA HA !!!
    Good times.

The mower looked nothing like these . . .it was pukey light green in color . . . and made completely out of metal . . .my dad had THICK St.Augustine grass . . which I don't even know if that stuff is techinically grass . . . more like a ground cover / thatchy shit.

[flashback]
    I was maybe 10-12 at the time . . .basically, the mower was in such poor condition . . you had to do a lunging-thruster-bench-press type movement . . .mow about six to ten lineal feet at a time . . . then backup 3 feet to free up the blades, and then attack again.

He also had an EDGER of this same design . . .blade/device was real narrow . . .had only one normal sized wheel on one side and the other had a round nub that I guess you let ride on the sidewalk or mow-curb-edge . . . .

After all this, you got to rake it all up and bag it by hand . . .in Phoenix . . . those were the days
    [/flashback]

Angry

starting strength coach development program
    Come on guys! I used to cut my grandmother's yard with one of those when I was 10 years old. It's not a prowler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast