starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T-Nation: State Licensure for Coaches and Personal Trainers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This is actually an interesting question. Brodie or anyone else with sufficient legal background (and a license, of course) - would be interested if you have an opinion. If this nonsense does pass in some states, could be a backdoor.
    There might be ways to get around licensing requirements after the laws first pass. But a state legislature will close any backdoor, or loophole, eventually. Also, expect penalties (perhaps criminal) to be imposed on trainers who try to operate without a license.

You guys just need to embrace Big, Corporatist Government. It's here to stay.

Imagine the possibilities...what if it was one day illegal not to have a personal trainer, kind of like how it's illegal not to have health insurance that the federal government deems sufficient?

You're not thinking big picture, Rip.

Just checked on the Friedman video. It was too long to include because T-Nation says videos over 1:00 don't get watched.

I have put much thought into this over some time. My gym is 6 years old, and I have deliberately avoided acquiring as many conventional merit badges as possible.

My view has always been that there is enough of a market out there for my skills that the large commercial sector will never be able to compete with. That by becoming a competent competitive Weightlifting, Gymnastics and Track and Field coach, coaching many people for many years for nothing, competitively strategizing how to get a performance benefit efficiently, I feel, and I think my customers feel, that they now get good value for their money. The gym stays open.

One of the worst myths exploited by the certification bodies is the idea that no insurance company will touch someone with such minimal certification. This I am happy to report is baloney. Insurance companies will take your money, the protection they provide is nothing however compared to the protection you provide yourself by being a competent coach and explaining to gym members and athletes paying for your services, what they are in for and how to take care of themselves !!! The customer is duped by an idea that licensure protects them, they are also duped by the idea that insurance protects them.

In reality they are protected by my coaching competence: eventually it will be their own established experience that will, not protect them, but put their outcome in their own now-more-experienced hands.

Negligence is negligence. No certification will protect you from being the personification of it. Instead your coaching wits, conduct and business practice light your way. I have already discussed with numerous members, that if the government jackboots ever do decide to meddle in our little bleep on the very large radar screen, then the way around it is to be registered athletes of a sport such as WL or PL or T&F, and that the government can then decide to take up the fight with the national arm of the IOC and explain how I am supposed to compete in their government recognized sport and not squat.

One thing is sure, 'they' will never ever ever get one cent out of me or my members to be part of their protection racket. If I have to move the gym 100 nautical miles out into international waters on an old oil rig then I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just checked on the Friedman video. It was too long to include because T-Nation says videos over 1:00 don't get watched.
    Indeed. I starting watching this video, my eyes glazed over a minute into it, and I still have no idea how I'm supposed to lower the bar. To this day, I do my clean, scream like a girl in frightened confusion, pass out, and when I come to the problem has solved itself. I, like the average little idiot, can't handle much.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This is actually an interesting question. Brodie or anyone else with sufficient legal background (and a license, of course) - would be interested if you have an opinion.
    Funny you mention it...I have an article about this in process. Stay tuned.

I just paid $200 to renew my professional license and it's good to know my knowledge and wisdom is recharged to 100 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Disappointing but not surprising.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having the other day with the owner of the gym I lift at. He has been lifting his whole life, and has been coaching for nearly a decade. However, he does not have a 4-year degree, and some of the more coveted certifications require that you have one (I believe the one we were talking about was CSCS). It doesn't even have to be in a particular field, just a 4 year degree.

I'm a frickin' college professor, so if anyone should think college education is important, it's me, but that is complete absurd. What magical value does that degree grant that years of experience don't, especially in the area of coaching athletic activities? The trend of treating a college degree as the minimum ticket for entry to the workforce really helps no one.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm scared. Something like this could in effect completely shut down the fitness industry, which is currently a great place an entrepreneur like the site owner can start a business.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast