starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Basketball Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm about to start my last semester at CSUS, it's nice to know that you got our basketball team squatting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    Some of these comments remind me of when Brian Fox squatted 600lbs and there were form critiques.

For fucksakes. It's a maximum effort.

Agreed. Maximum effort will almost always imply some form of technique breakdown. It's just stellar to see basketball players that are willing to lift heavy and don't think getting strong will "slow them down". Keep up the good work Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by bfox View Post
    Agreed. Maximum effort will almost always imply some form of technique breakdown. It's just stellar to see basketball players that are willing to lift heavy and don't think getting strong will "slow them down". Keep up the good work Tom.
    Thanks Brian. We have a good group of guys here. Fun to work with.

JudoATunez Guest

Today, I found a friend of mine when I was going to practice. She's a Basketball player, and she has had quite a few injuries in her right shoulder and left knee. She plays for one of our best teams here in Portugal, SLB club, yet, the ''sports management department'' doesn't allow the female team to use the weight room. It's a pity that athletes have their careers cut short, and possible life quality diminished because of things like these...

Pardon my words, they might be offtopic...

Coach DiStasio, sorry for this question, but, do you have your basketball players alternate the bench press with the press, or you guys focus mostly on the press? I ask this because it's very important to strengthen the muscles of the rotator cuff for athletes who spend a lot of time working overhead, as covered in SS:BBT. However, I understand that you may give equal importance to both, as a strong bench press also helps drive up the press, and ultimately the potential for the rotator cuff muscles to become stronger is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoATunez View Post
    Coach DiStasio, sorry for this question, but, do you have your basketball players alternate the bench press with the press, or you guys focus mostly on the press? I ask this because it's very important to strengthen the muscles of the rotator cuff for athletes who spend a lot of time working overhead, as covered in SS:BBT. However, I understand that you may give equal importance to both, as a strong bench press also helps drive up the press, and ultimately the potential for the rotator cuff muscles to become stronger is greater.
    We alternate the press and the bench press as per a normal, novice linear progression. As you said, I'm concerned with overall strength development of my athletes and the bench fits into this equation not only to drive up the press, but for overall upper body strength.

Basketball players are remarkably similar to real human beings. Despite the fact that some of them appear to be Mon-Stars, they are not only able to get stronger, they can hold down a steady job, have relationships, and enjoy Taco Bell.

JudoATunez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    We alternate the press and the bench press as per a normal, novice linear progression. As you said, I'm concerned with overall strength development of my athletes and the bench fits into this equation not only to drive up the press, but for overall upper body strength.

Basketball players are remarkably similar to real human beings. Despite the fact that some of them appear to be Mon-Stars, they are not only able to get stronger, they can hold down a steady job, have relationships, and enjoy Taco Bell.
    Hahah, thanks for your answer, coach, everything's pretty clear now. Best luck to you and your athletes!

GO SAC STATE!...as an alumni of that school I wanted to thank you for the efforts you are putting out to improve the athletes there. Adapting SSLP to basketball players must be a stretch in terms of player buy in and I appreciate your efforts. Thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    GO SAC STATE!...as an alumni of that school I wanted to thank you for the efforts you are putting out to improve the athletes there. Adapting SSLP to basketball players must be a stretch in terms of player buy in and I appreciate your efforts. Thank you!
    Thanks! Truthfully, this is the best team I have ever coached. From the top-down, the buy in and effort put forth by all fourteen guys has been great. Working with a group like this reminds me why I wanted to be a strength and conditioning coach in the first place. Its flat out fun to coach them everyday.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345