starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I do the exercise for Low back Control after Workout or on off days

Default Should I do the exercise for Low back Control after Workout or on off days

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I need to improve my Lower Back control and would like to know when should I do the exercise that you prescribed for it.

Should I do it on workout days or off days.

If it should be done on Wokout days should I do it before or after the main exercises.

Thank you

Since correctly-performed squats, deadlifts, and cleans require absolute control of the lower back, I'd suggest doing those. Just do them on your regular training days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Since correctly-performed squats, deadlifts, and cleans require absolute control of the lower back, I'd suggest doing those. Just do them on your regular training days.
    Uh-oh . . . I've been around here too long . .this was my exact answer to him. Look at us Rip- -- twinsies!!

Oh. One of THOSE guys.

SSP: Just do back extensions, planks, and the most exotic situps you can find on your off days, 3x/day. To failure. Change the order every time to promote confusion, which is always beneficial. Go to bb.com and buy their back strength supplements -- don't be afraid to spend a lot of money, since you get what you pay for -- and take those immediately after these 3x/day workouts on the first 2 days, then rotate to taking them immediately before the workouts on the 3rd day. Rotate your sleep as well, every other day go to bed at 7pm, alternating with 3am the other days. Never sleep on your back, because the pressure will keep it from growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Oh. One of THOSE guys.

SSP: Just do back extensions, planks, and the most exotic situps you can find on your off days, 3x/day. To failure. Change the order every time to promote confusion, which is always beneficial. Go to bb.com and buy their back strength supplements -- don't be afraid to spend a lot of money, since you get what you pay for -- and take those immediately after these 3x/day workouts on the first 2 days, then rotate to taking them immediately before the workouts on the 3rd day. Rotate your sleep as well, every other day go to bed at 7pm, alternating with 3am the other days. Never sleep on your back, because the pressure will keep it from growing.
    Not to be a stickler for detail, but you completely glossed over thoracolumbar fascia wraps and erector spinae dysfunction...

The reason i asked is I didnt want to fatigue my lwr back and risk compromising the main lifts.

Since you do recommend doing this exercise in your book i thought its a reasonable Qs to ask when they should be done

Hell, I just omitted them entirely. My bad, as the kids say.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    The reason i asked is I didnt want to fatigue my lwr back and risk compromising the main lifts.

Since you do recommend doing this exercise in your book i thought its a reasonable Qs to ask when they should be done
    How much weight are you deadlifting?

I seem to remember someone once posted a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfOdvd-sJ0 about this.

Step one: learn proper lower back position for the lifts (watch above video)
    Step two: don't deviate from proper lower back position during the lifts
    Repeat step one as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post

You are referring to the Superman-like drill, correct: lie on the floor and lift your knees off the ground until your lower back burns a little bit?

starting strength coach development program
    I deadlifted 60kg/5reps today. My best deadlift is 90kg/5reps

I just started the program so I started lighter to improve form. I should get to 90kg in two weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast