starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freak Injury or Bad Habits? Who Stands to Bear Blame?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been a fan of college football for a long time, and it seems to me that ACL tears happen with much greater frequency than in the past. I have no data to back this up though, and it would be interesting to examine.

Someone posted this on another site that I regularly post on. Preseason ACL Injuries Can Be Drastically Reduced. Here's How | Bleacher Report Not sure if it has validity or not.

So, he did wind up tearing his ACL, as I boldly predicted in

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    the clearly 100 percent academically inclined video eloquently titled "bout to tear acl".
    IMO the way he moves he's just asking for this to happen to him. Seems like the coaches can do a better job here. The S&C videos look like junk too (which is something I bet we can all agree on). I don't know why it's such a tall order for these programs.

Re. ACL tear and pain, this is pretty interesting. I read that non-contact ACL tears coincide with menisci tears about half the time so you have to tease those out. From my casual observation it seems like just meniscus tears might actually hurt less than just ACL tears. I figured I'd toss in this iconic clip for the hell of it:

"...Ice?"

Quote Originally Posted by VTHS View Post
    I've been a fan of college football for a long time, and it seems to me that ACL tears happen with much greater frequency than in the past. I have no data to back this up though, and it would be interesting to examine.
    It is quite likely that the complete absence of strength training is better than the presence of the quad-dominant single-leg dances that are the current fad. I'd like to know what the OP-subject's at-depth barbell squat and deadlift were.

Someone posted this on another site that I regularly post on. Preseason ACL Injuries Can Be Drastically Reduced. Here's How | Bleacher Report Not sure if it has validity or not.
    An excellent find. From the article:

"Even if you have a simple cellphone, just take a video of it," Hewett said. "You can see, right before landing, the position of how far apart the knees are. If those knees collapse into half or more of that distance, that player is showing what we call 'ligament dominance.'"
    The answer to which is, of course:

With neuromuscular training, we can reduce those risk factors."
    What do you suppose he means by "neuromuscular training"? Boys and girls, what is the problem if your ligaments end up being the dominant factor in stabilizing your about-to-be-injured joint? How can these pig-headed fuckers be so thoroughly brainwashed by this functional training shit that the benefits of increased muscular force production have become unworthy of consideration?

Isn't warming up with bands a way to train neuromuscularly? I do this before squatting and it helps to remind me to keep my knees out as a motor moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    So, he did wind up tearing his ACL, as I boldly predicted in

IMO the way he moves he's just asking for this to happen to him. Seems like the coaches can do a better job here. The S&C videos look like junk too (which is something I bet we can all agree on). I don't know why it's such a tall order for these programs.

Re. ACL tear and pain, this is pretty interesting. I read that non-contact ACL tears coincide with menisci tears about half the time so you have to tease those out. From my casual observation it seems like just meniscus tears might actually hurt less than just ACL tears. I figured I'd toss in this iconic clip for the hell of it:

"...Ice?"
    So my degree is in Forestry and Wildlife, aside from being a fan of college football, I have a genuine interest in being stronger and in helping others get stronger through barbell training within the limits of my compentency.

Would you or someone please explain to me about how one teaches people how to move correctly, because I can't figure out how humans have made it this far in sports, recreation, and work without movement coaches and how they've also manage to do this without serious injuries to the knee.

It frankly doesn't make much sense to me that the natural movements of running and jumping may need coaching. As a person who has a skeptical mind, it ranks up there with 21 day cleansing cycles and sweating out toxins and free radicals to achieve wellness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

What do you suppose he means by "neuromuscular training"? Boys and girls, what is the problem if your ligaments end up being the dominant factor in stabilizing your about-to-be-injured joint? How can these pig-headed fuckers be so thoroughly brainwashed by this functional training shit that the benefits of increased muscular force production have become unworthy of consideration?
    The curse of the mainstream media sheeple?

So my degree is in Forestry and Wildlife, aside from being a fan of college football, I have a genuine interest in being stronger and in helping others get stronger through barbell training within the limits of my compentency.

Would you or someone please explain to me about how one teaches people how to move correctly, because I can't figure out how humans have made it this far in sports, recreation, and work without movement coaches and how they've also manage to do this without serious injuries to the knee.

It frankly doesn't make much sense to me that the natural movements of running and jumping may need coaching. As a person who has a skeptical mind, it ranks up there with 21 day cleansing cycles and sweating out toxins and free radicals to achieve wellness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

If only there was a way to make the ligaments stronger. Some connection, some bridge if you will, that closes the gap between ligament and tendon strength and injury resistance. Until we figure out what in the world could possibly strengthen the connective tissues, let's work up more slowly to exactly what we were doing before. This will give us the opportunity to say we're working on the neuro control aspect of this which seems like it oughta be real important cuz it's attached to everything. Here's some wearable tech that looks all sciencey and very specific. Plus, it allows us to be in charge of evaluating how you move because quite frankly, DeMarco, your movement sucks. Plus, if DeMarco still tears his ACL we can still blame his poor movement after we work on his movement because the dumb bastard didn't take it seriously enough and even if he did everything we said we can still blame his movement because nobody has the balls to say what VTHS said above because I've got a Doctorate and have been doing this for many years.

Apparently, one needs either a Forestry and Wildlife or a Geology degree to think clearly about such things.

It frankly doesn't make much sense to me that the natural movements of running and jumping may need coaching.
    Well, if the rest of what we did was "natural" in the same way running and jumping should be, those things probably wouldn't need/benefit from coaching. But it's not. Our daily lives do not lend themselves well to optimizing our ability to do things we should be able to do. Sitting all day hacking away at a computer doesn't really prime you to get up and move violently.

I see people who I guess I can consider "ligament dominant" every single day in my clinic. I've never referred to them as "ligament dominant" though. I have always just called them "weak".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I see people who I guess I can consider "ligament dominant" every single day in my clinic. I've never referred to them as "ligament dominant" though. I have always just called them "weak".
    Ligament dominant is the most correct yet brilliantly obfuscatory euphemism for weak I can think of. I am almost surprised Bill Been did not come up with it on his own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast