starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Could Starting Strength extend Peyton Manning's career?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
    I’ve been watching some of the rugby world cup currently being held in England and a lot of those players look strong as an ox. I wondered how much weight you’d need to be lifting in order to look as strong as they do. I came across this video of the England rugby team weight training and an interview with their Strength & Conditioning Coach. What struck me was that at around the 0:50 mark the coach says it’s his role to check the players technique, and that’s immediately preceded by a set of squats, and then another set shown at 2:20, which any novice who has read the book would know is improper form. According to the book it’s the kind of form which leaves the hamstrings weak and underdeveloped and thus plays a role in ACL injuries. How does a chap become a S&C coach of an international rugby team if he doesn’t know that? And how do those players look as imposing as they do on the field if they aren’t training with correct form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5VJafi1cx0
    Well, England is out of the Cup, they made a sad tournament. Just as sad as their strength coach in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by 57bergstrm View Post
    Well, England is out of the Cup, they made a sad tournament. Just as sad as their strength coach in the gym.
    That’s unfortunately true. But it was my assumption that at such a high level – be it the NFL, rugby or whatever – everyone would know what they were doing. But the consensus here seems to be that, in the NFL at least, that isn’t the case. And I was surprised to see those England players squat exactly like most guys in my gym squat because most guys in my gym don’t look like international rugby players.

The writers at Sports Illustrated also proceed from the same false assumption. Most people don't understand the basic reason for this.

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
    But it was my assumption that at such a high level – be it the NFL, rugby or whatever – everyone would know what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The writers at Sports Illustrated also proceed from the same false assumption. Most people don't understand the basic reason for this.
    Jesus, Rip. After I came to the same conclusion about the level of their intellectual assessment, I stopped reading that piece of shit magazine in 1984 when I was 14 years old. That's also about the same time that I stopped reading Motor Trend magazine. For the same reasons.

For what it's worth - I played quarterback at the high school and college level (D-III), and between years of college ball, recruiting camps, and development camps, I might have done five squats or so, total. I doubt that my experience was unique in this regard. If I'd spent more time squatting, deadlifting, and pressing - rather than stretching, working out my "core," and doing god knows what with the medicine ball - I would have been a much better quarterback at the time and, more importantly, a healthier person overall today.

To paraphrase - "stronger quarterbacks are harder to sack, and more durable in general."

starting strength coach development program
    The moment they are exposed to "functional training." They were looking for a way out anyway, because squats are hard and all, and "functional training" sounds like a good way out. And, after all, Physical Therapists say it's better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234