starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Coach Michael Wolf on T-Nation:

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I wonder if anyone else read it and wondered why the rest of the piece is analysis-based and that one lone part is suddenly based on appeal to authority and history.
    Yes. :-)

However, I soon concluded that part was edited by T-Nation and it's a minor detraction from a great article.

Weird, thought part of the point behind T-nations vastly dissimilar articles was to give the pure unadulterated views of differing fitness professionals and let people decide for themselves. Don't get how editing fits with that. You either run it if it's good enough or sufficeintly interesting or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Weird, thought part of the point behind T-nations vastly dissimilar articles was to give the pure unadulterated views of differing fitness professionals and let people decide for themselves. Don't get how editing fits with that. You either run it if it's good enough or sufficeintly interesting or you don't.
    Though I don't know for certain, I don't think they'd have had a problem running the content in and of itself. The issue was primarily length (that's what she said) and technical complexity. The published version is already a longer and more technical article than they usually run. The unedited version is about three times as long and more technical. That doesn't lend well to pageviews for a first time author on their website who isn't well known outside of SS circles. Someone like Rip, with his more established name and publishing history, gets more leeway to run longer, more technical pieces in full because, I assume, they still get a relatively high pageview count. I don't fault them for this, that's how the business works.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-09-2015 at 06:34 PM.

As a somewhat tangential follow-up to this, I just had a conversation with the primary Olympic lifting coach at my gym about the low bar squat / Olympic lifting topic. For what I believe is the first time in my life when attempting to do this with any Olympic lifter or coach, he listened all the way through, didn't interrupt or try to out-shout me before I could finish a point, didn't storm away in frustrated anger that I didn't accept an appeal to authority, and actually considered what I said. We didn't go through all the points of analysis, but we did hit some of the big ones. It was a pleasant conversation between two people with different perspectives and starting points, and left him with enough to consider that we're talking about trying to do some work together with people where I coach their strength via the SS style low bar squat and he does the Olympic lift technique work with them. I'm not sure if it will come to fruition but his open-mindedness and willingness to listen and consider without having a knee-jerk reaction was very refreshing.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-10-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    As a somewhat tangential follow-up to this, I just had a conversation with the primary Olympic lifting coach at my gym about the low bar squat / Olympic lifting topic. For what I believe is the first time in my life when attempting to do this with any Olympic lifter or coach, he listened all the way through, didn't interrupt or try to out-shout me before I could finish a point, didn't storm away in frustrated anger that I didn't accept an appeal to authority, and actually considered what I said. We didn't go through all the points of analysis, but we did hit some of the big ones. It was a pleasant conversation between two people with different perspectives and starting points, and left him with enough to consider that we're talking about trying to do some work together with people where I coach their strength via the SS style low bar squat and he does the Olympic lift technique work with them. I'm not sure if it will come to fruition but his open-mindedness and willingness to listen and consider without having a knee-jerk reaction was very refreshing.
    Oh my god, it's cats and dogs laying down together - it's the end of days people!

I hope the Oly coach decides to give it a whirl, I'd love to see the results.

Congrats Wolf!

Picked up by the PTDC as the top article of the week in the 'general health' category. The word spreads...

Thought the article was a fair analysis of the squat variations. Since I squat both highball hybrid and low bar I have no prejudices and as the article articulated, both have their place.
    Maybe the article will hel0 pur an end to vilification of those who use high bar in their training.

Great read...congrats.

starting strength coach development program
    The article also said:

The low-bar squat utilizes a tremendous amount of muscle mass over a long range of motion and allows the lifter to handle more weight than the other variants, thus providing the largest training effect of the four versions.
    This is not an ambiguous statement that can be interpreted to mean that both are the same.

As for "vilification of those who use high-bar in their training," fuck all of those people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12