Default Am I too weak for 1st meet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I currently have following lifts.
    BP 250
    Deadlift 385
    Squat 290

I am 44yo, I weigh 190. I have finished LP for everything but squat. Am not maxed out on these but had form issues which are improving. These are not impressive for sure. Should I try to lift for competition or wait until they are better. If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.

"Legit" is a rather fuzzy concept. Do you want to go to a meet? Or not?

Yes I would like to go. Just would really rather not look like idiot and don't know what to expect. Have no friends my age that power lift or do anything but 5ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbinck1 View Post
    If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.
    A suggestion. Look up the records and results numbers in past meets in the federation, age, and weight class you intend to lift in. Let that be your guide. But if you want to go to a meet, go to one. There's a lot of respect from the younger lifters for people in the master's divisions.

Last place finishes ahead of those who didn't show up.

OP,

Just pick a meet that has a cool event T-shirt, go, do your best, and have fun. You won't regret it and it will be a learning experience.

Yes I would like to go. Just would really rather not look like idiot and don't know what to expect. Have no friends my age that power lift or do anything but 5ks.
    News Flash: You're going to look like an idiot at your first meet no matter how strong you are when you get up off your ass and decide to be an Athlete instead of just another guy in the gym. We all did.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I currently have following lifts.
    BP 250
    Deadlift 385
    Squat 290

I am 44yo, I weigh 190. I have finished LP for everything but squat. Am not maxed out on these but had form issues which are improving. These are not impressive for sure. Should I try to lift for competition or wait until they are better. If so, what numbers are legit for my age and weight.
    I think you'll find powerlifting competitions to be one of the most supportive environments around. Even though everyone is technically competing against each other, there's a lot of encouragement and respect between the competitors.

If you want to do a meet, just show up and do your best. Train hard and do better the next time. Etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    News Flash: You're going to look like an idiot at your first meet no matter how strong you are when you get up off your ass and decide to be an Athlete instead of just another guy in the gym. We all did.
    I looked like an idiot at the Fall Classic?!?

Enter the meet, OP. If it's anything like the fall classic meet, you'll get nothing but support and encouragement from the other competitors. Do your best and your numbers don't matter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I looked like an idiot at the Fall Classic?!?
    You didn't know that??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast