starting strength gym
Page 110 of 301 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MattWI View Post
    He directed and acted in an overlooked movie titled Frailty. It takes place in Texas. I found the movie surprisingly engaging. Story is told with techniques borrowed from Rashomon with flashbacks told through different perspectives and it reveals "truths" to drive the disturbing narrative effectively.
    Frailty was one of my favorite movies back in the day. I had a friend in high school who also loved the film and used a wood burner to write "OTIS" on the axe he used to chop firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Really, watch it again, then watch it with Friedkin's commentary. In his mind he was making a documentary.
    Rip, your passion has won me over. Do you recommend the original 1973 version or the so-called "version you've never seen" director's cut from 2000 as a first viewing?

Get the Director's Cut. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    I liked Logan but wonder if the violence and tone distracted people from noticing how formulaic and predictable it was. It's a solid film, but nothing groundbreaking. (Though it might hold the record for "most people stabbed in the head in a major motion picture.")
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    Yes! Nobody else seems to have noticed this! The plot is actually pretty basic and doesn't really make sense
    When you think about it, the plot of Logan is basically the same as the last Mad Max movie. They could have called it Wolverine: Fury Road. Sometimes simple is better.

Unless it's Last of the Mohicans, Donnie Darko, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T., the original Star Wars movies...

Watched Kong: Skull Island last night. It was a hoot, especially in the theater with 3d.

You know how lots of monster movies think it's scarier and more suspenseful to not show you the monster until 3/4s of the way through and then you only get momentary shaky cam glimpses of it? This movie puts Kong (and the various other inhabitants of Skull Island on display early and often. The initial helicopters / Kong scene is awesome and brutal.

There are a few scenes that fall a little flat (the John C Reilly introduction had some forced attempts at humor) but overall I loved the hell out of this movie and it delivered exactly what I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    When you think about it, the plot of Logan is basically the same as the last Mad Max movie. They could have called it Wolverine: Fury Road.
    More like Children of X-Men. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, regardless of plot similarities to other films.

Ok, The Exorcist, first viewing. Horror or otherwise, a gripping film.

The exorcism scene itself was a mastery. I consider it a battle scene unlike any I've ever seen. No weapons, no martial arts... a duel stripped down to its essence, the force of will.

Rip, I know you've been coaching for 40 years. If you haven't seen somebody's form begin to break during their fives and yelled at them "the power of Christ compels you!" a great injustice has been done in this world.

Trailer for IT remake:IT - Official Teaser Trailer - YouTube

I've never found King's material to be scary. I think some of it is decently written, but not scary. But this one creeps the hell out of me.

Yes. Very compelling. And very fashionable. Scary clowns. In a sewer. Suddenly appearing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Trailer for IT remake:IT - Official Teaser Trailer - YouTube

I've never found King's material to be scary. I think some of it is decently written, but not scary. But this one creeps the hell out of me.
    I don't find that trailer promising. I agree with just about everything written about it here

also, recently finished reading The Stand (unabridged version). Pretty amazing stuff.