starting strength gym
Page 115 of 301 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 3003

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Okay, the horror/Christian mythology thing is harder to explain, since I'm not interested in being in either church or Hell. I don't want to be in Africa, but I read Capstick. So, it's complicated occasionally. Thanks Steve.
    Perhaps best explained by escapism--there's an air of unreality (may have made that word up) that makes it possible to be transported. It's why I love some horror movies (generally, I can have fun with anything campy or Sci-do) and despise others (near-snuff films). The Exorcist works because I believe it passes that threshold of disbelief--it's far enough out of the realm of possibility that you can be transported.

Same rules apply for me with reading--either I read nonfiction (mostly) or escapism.

***goes off to order Weyland Yutani shirt***

Okay, the horror/Christian mythology thing is harder to explain, since I'm not interested in being in either church or Hell. I don't want to be in Africa, but I read Capstick. So, it's complicated occasionally. Thanks Steve.
    Hey, I get it. Occasionally, I enjoy pepperoni on my pizza.

I just wanted to ask before some random asshole did.

Better it come from a non-random asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    "So you want to be in the world of the exorcist? How does that jive with your "want to be there" rule?
    I think Father Damien Karras is one of the most interesting (best) characters in movie history.

He'd be interesting to talk to.

Karras was a great role. Jason Miller did his best work there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walterdavidwatson View Post
    Perhaps best explained by escapism
    Some things you want to be there to see, not necessarily to do, I suppose. I love the Rocky movies, but ain't no way I want to get in the ring and get my brain squashed.

It could be said that the Exorcist is the same way - it's a ringside seat to a titanic battle, though with belief and personal courage vs. lies and manipulation instead of Rocky's classic boxer vs. a clumsy but powerful and tough brawler, etc.

Just finished Jacob's Ladder. Not horror in the Exorcist sense, but still one of the most truly disturbing and fucked-up movies I have ever seen. Be sure to watch the documentary for important clarification if you are confused after you watch it, as you might be.
    And literally surreal (theme sub-conscience etc.).

I just watched again the Fugitive for the first time in maybe two decades. In my memory it was a pretty good film. It isn't. It's a fucking piece of art. You can tell the plot has been refined again and again until it was perfect. Directing, photo, editing, all perfect. Acting was beautiful like an instagram of Jordan shirtless. I can't believe I'm going to say that (it wasn't that long ago I considered myself a young person) but: they don't make movies like that anymore.

PS: Rip with your refusal to see Shawshank you have redefined contrarianism. Congratulations. I'm doing the same with the Big Short.

And with the death of Don Rickles, it's time to watch Kelly's Heroes again. This should be an annual event anyway.

And with the death of Don Rickles, it's time to watch Kelly's Heroes again. This should be an annual event anyway.
    In that vein, I heard on the news that the tree so prominently featured in the Shawshank Redemption fell over. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/m...avy-winds.html

You Shawshank fanboys can now place your hands over your heavy hearts.

starting strength coach development program
    It's such a fun movie!