starting strength gym
Page 116 of 301 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    More like Children of X-Men. Still thoroughly enjoyed it, regardless of plot similarities to other films.
    This is clever.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    I thought Frank Darabont's adaptation of The Mist was quite good, and fairly frightening (I watched the black and white version)
    The ending of this movie fucked me up more than probably anything else I've ever seen. I just got up off the couch and walked out of the room. My wife couldn't understand why it hit me so hard. For some reason I had to remind myself that the movie was based on a short story and not a novel - that reset my perspective and now I consider it a great flick.

Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    I think Rip knows well that straight up refusing to watch a film that many people consider the 'best of all time!' is going to drive people nuts in a way watching it and saying he didn't like it doesn't.

And for the record it's on my all lists of most emotionally satisfying films, the film equivalent of grandma's chicken soup.
    The first time I watched Shawshank I was probably 16 or 17. I thought it was the best movie I'd ever seen. I re-watched it later in my twenties, and it struck me more as Chicken Soup for the Soul - it didn't have anything new to say, and what it did have to say was pretty on-the-nose. It is, however, a clever and funny movie and I did enjoy watching Andy figure stuff out/set stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by bugbomb View Post
    The first time I watched Shawshank I was probably 16 or 17. I thought it was the best movie I'd ever seen. I re-watched it later in my twenties, and it struck me more as Chicken Soup for the Soul - it didn't have anything new to say, and what it did have to say was pretty on-the-nose. It is, however, a clever and funny movie and I did enjoy watching Andy figure stuff out/set stuff up.
    Agreed, it is a bit on the nose, but it's incredibly well made. I like Andy's character - and the way he uses geology as his salvation... "geology is the study of pressure and time"

Just watched it last night with my lady for the first time in the better half of a decade if not more. Managed to obtain a very good HD version, and that was a real treat.

Has anyone seen the new Thor trailor? It's directed by the same guy that did What we do in the shadows. We'll see if they can somewhat save this series.

Thor: Ragnarok Teaser Trailer [HD] - YouTube

Damn. Looks pretty interesting. Cate Blanchett is actually hot.

OK dammit, Rip.

I'm watching Wyatt Earp and I have to concede the point to you. The acting and characters are superior by far to Tombstone. What clinched it was watching the scene of the much ignored pimp of the family, James Earp, throw in with his brothers, followed by the Earp wives trying to face down Wyatt about the move from Dodge City to Tombstone.

I've watched a plethora of movies lately. Here goes.

Sinister: Very good, very scary. Brilliant twist at the end. I though the use of the film reels throughout the film gave it some bona fide "old stuff" creep, and it doesn't skimp on the gore. 8/10, would watch again.

The Strangers: Haven't seen many movies of the 'home invasion' genre, so my perspective is skewed. Excellently executed slow burn of a film. Will make you paranoid. 7.5/10

Nightmare on Elm Street: I was continually struck by how damn creative this is. I was routinely surprised throughout the film that new ways were found to make it terrifying. It's the gift that keeps on giving. The surreal nature of the film is disturbing in a way that most films don't capture well. That, combined with the real world sociological implications of going vigilante on a child molester en masse create a seriously sinister vibe (reminds me of that one twilight zone episode where the entire neighborhood eats itself alive based on rumor and prejudice). 9/10.

Jacob's ladder: going to have to watch it again, with the director's cut or commentary to really grasp the gist. I thought the hallucination scenes were really well executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    OK dammit, Rip.

I'm watching Wyatt Earp and I have to concede the point to you. The acting and characters are superior by far to Tombstone. What clinched it was watching the scene of the much ignored pimp of the family, James Earp, throw in with his brothers, followed by the Earp wives trying to face down Wyatt about the move from Dodge City to Tombstone.
    They are two different types of movies, Earp is a biopic that tells the life story of Wyatt Earp, while Tombstone is just a movie to further the myth of Wyatt Earp's life, its almost comic book in nature compared to Wyatt Earp. You can definitely see the difference in the story telling and acting in both films. They are great films in their own ways.

Jacob's ladder did a number on me when I watched it - I was a young teenager at the time.

Also, I don't think "The Hitcher" has been mentioned yet. I think I watched that alone when I was around 12 or 13 years old. jesus christ.

Also, I don't think "The Hitcher" has been mentioned yet.
    I don't get into that genre, but if Rutger Hauer is in it, the chances are it has to be good.

Which, I will add, is true of movies with Viggo Mortensen as well. Eastern Promises and A History of Violence and Hidalgo for instance. The latter of which includes Ed Harris who another good bet when he's in a movie. I even liked him in the artsy and the fartsy Pollock, which had Marcia Gay Harden in it, so let's add her name to the must-see list.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, I don't think "The Hitcher" has been mentioned yet. I think I watched that alone when I was around 12 or 13 years old. jesus christ.
    Quite few decent films with Rutger Hauer from that time period: 'Nighthawks', 'Blade Runner', 'The Osterman Weekend' , and 'LadyHawk' were all decent.