starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Advice

Default Lifting Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach,

I had a discussion with Coach Bradford a few weeks ago about what to do if a lifter has no choice but to look at a mirror while performing a lift. She said, " If you look at a mirror, look at something that is not moving in the mirror, look at that point, and let your vision go out of focus."

Would a good example of her suggestion be to look at the mirror-image of my shoes, (like in a barbell squat), because my shoes aren't moving?

Look at the floor, as I've already told you.

You can look at the floor in the mirror. I think it's the same as looking at the actual floor because pool.

Rip, what if you're forced to squat in front of a mirror, and you're such a handsome specimen that you get completely absorbed staring at your own perfection, that each rep is taking in excess of 10 minutes?

Have you any experience with this?

It's been a problem my whole adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    You can look at the floor in the mirror. I think it's the same as looking at the actual floor because pool.
    Except you are looking at the evil twin version of the floor in the mirror dimension.

Beauty is a curse.

I solved this early on by marking the mirror or the floor with chalk, and looking at that. Or put your notebook on the floor behind you and look at that in the mirror. Or grab a stretching mat and use it to block the mirror. Or just look at the evil twin floor in the mirror. Or move the bar hooks in the rack so you are looking out of the rack away from the mirror.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bueller73 View Post
    I solved this early on by marking the mirror or the floor with chalk, and looking at that. Or put your notebook on the floor behind you and look at that in the mirror. Or grab a stretching mat and use it to block the mirror. Or just look at the evil twin floor in the mirror. Or move the bar hooks in the rack so you are looking out of the rack away from the mirror.
    Now your asking the lifter to think for themselves and improvise something. Totally uncalled for.