starting strength gym

Thread: something popped in my forearm during squats (wrist flexor)

Default something popped in my forearm during squats (wrist flexor)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    bodyweight: 175

Rip,

During my first working set of squats yesterday evening (270 lb), I felt a distinct pop in the medial aspect of the proximal forearm on my left side. There was hardly any pain, but the event freaked me out enough that I missed the next and final rep of the set. I decided to stop squatting and rested for a bit. As the pain was virtually nonexistent, I went on to do a set of weighted chins (3x3 @ 82.5lb around belt). Even after those sets, there was no increased pain, so I figured it was nothing. However, later on that night (and this morning), there was quite a bit more pain associated with the injury, though it's by no means severe.

I can't detect redness or swelling, but palpating the area about a half inch distal of the point midway between the olecranon and medial epicondyle produces pain (about a quarter sized area), as does flexing my wrist.

I'm thinking this injury was due to me having my wrist in extension during the squat, which put my flexors in a position for receiving the load of bar. I'm usually quite good about keeping my wrists neutral, and have never experienced anything like this before.

It feels like a muscle belly injury, but I'm not sure what kind of rehab protocol would be effective. Can you advise me?

I was also planning on doing deadlifts today (two sets of triples @ 360 lb). I use a double overhand grip without hook. Flexing my fingers produces no pain. Extending my elbow elicits a bit of pain, due to the passive stretch of the injured tissues, but it's not severe.

You're not hurt, right? So, what is your question?

I should have clarified. On the one hand it feels like a mild muscle belly tear. On the other, the popping sensation worried me. Made me think that I may have actually completely torn, or dislocated something. Also curious is the delayed pain response. Does anything in my description suggest something serious?

And if it just a muscle belly tear, should I just continue lifting normally? I can see how the wrist flexors might be worked isometrically during weighted dips and presses (which are my primary "pressing" movement at this point). Do you think that those movements will suffice to rehab it? Or should I use some form of wrist flexion exercise where the wrist is actually flexed?

The pain isn't severe, but I want to give myself the best chance at a speedy recovery and minimize fibrosis.

Your choices are 1. train, 2. lay off, and 3. go to the doctor and listen to his bullshit.

Which do you think I'm going to tell you?

got it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    I should have clarified. On the one hand it feels like a mild muscle belly tear. On the other, the popping sensation worried me. Made me think that I may have actually completely torn, or dislocated something. Also curious is the delayed pain response. Does anything in my description suggest something serious?

And if it just a muscle belly tear, should I just continue lifting normally? I can see how the wrist flexors might be worked isometrically during weighted dips and presses (which are my primary "pressing" movement at this point). Do you think that those movements will suffice to rehab it? Or should I use some form of wrist flexion exercise where the wrist is actually flexed?

The pain isn't severe, but I want to give myself the best chance at a speedy recovery and minimize fibrosis.
    Muscle belly tears bleed, so you'd have some ecchymosis in the area. With delayed pain, you almost certainly have inflammation without discrete pathology (think tendinitis instead of a tear).

Training is the best option you have. Keep reps reasonable and be diligent with ice and ibuprofen for the next 7-10 days (three times per day).

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Will, good to know!