starting strength gym
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach, how is this even possible?/Mike Boyle

The People's Republic of Boulder, Colorado

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    I think I just realized what Coach arguing here by watching the adductor tear video. He's suggesting that 100% of a 1 leg squat is lifted by the vertical leg, so a 2 leg squat should double the 1 leg weight. His "freshmen" can't double the 1 leg weight, so there's a problem that he's identified as low back strength.

The real reason is that the "back" leg does a hell of a lot more of the work in the 1 leg lift than 0%. I don't know the real relationship between 1 leg 1RM and 2 leg 1RM, but I'd guess it would be a reasonable experiment to do a 1RM 1 leg squat with the back foot on bathroom scale to figure it out.
    Bathroom scale is a great idea. Another one would be to just have them do an actual single leg squat- with only one leg participating in the kenetic chain. I'd like to see how much load they could handle for sets of 15.

It's amazing he didn't think of this before publishing the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon321 View Post
    Pete Rubish does 405 for 5 and he doesn't squat 800. Not that this means anything, it's obvious how much help he gets from the other leg.

405 Pound Bulgarian Split Squats - YouTube

Watch until the end for adductor tear. Why the hell would anyone set the safety catches that much lower than needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Very impressive. Above parallel, and the tear tells you something very important. But I am still impressed with this. However, it is not the norm. Most people cannot do more than half on one leg.
    In addition to the adductor tear, above parallel depth, back foot helping, and what everyone else has said: notice how gingerly Pete got into position with 405. You're balancing the entire load on one leg for a very perilous moment there, while having to focus more on reaching back and finding proper purchase with the back leg into a position that's somewhat awkward and not easily achieved. Pete is a strong, strong dude. I don't know his exact numbers but I believe he squats around 700 and he's deadlifted 400kg on a deadlift bar. And yet, he still has to be very, very careful just to get into position with only 405 - and you can also easily see the potential for disaster in this part of the set-up. Again, with only 405 on the bar.

In addition to the many, many other good reasons given that dismantle the arguments in that video, this is another one that I think obviously shows the Bulgarian Split Squat is not only an inadequate but a potentially horrifically dangerous exercise to use as a replacement for the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    I work out at the same gym as Pete. I believe he squats around 660 and recently deadlifted 820 at a body weight of 240. He's even got abz.
    I follow his training, he recently pulled 880. Crazy strong guy, I wasn't trying to knock him. Although I am irritated by the fact that a bunch of people will likely incorporate this silly exercise into their training just because he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    In addition to the many, many other good reasons given that dismantle the arguments in that video, this is another one that I think obviously shows the Bulgarian Split Squat is not only an inadequate but a potentially horrifically dangerous exercise to use as a replacement for the squat.
    To prevent that, of course, you can keep the weight stupidly light, ignore all the confounding issues, and handwave conversion factors that make your kids' weeny split squats superior to their imaginary (and also-weeny) squats. You have to give him credit: by keeping it that light, he may not have achieved much, but he also probably didn't hurt anyone and was able to use the Functional Force to exert a strong influence on the weak-minded.

The first thing that I noticed when I started watching this video was that this guy is 6"1", 175

When I first got started with SS, about 5 years ago, I used to get pissed at this kind of misleading information. It is so prevalent, as we all know. People don't like to do real strength training for many reasons. I had to realize that I can't fix everybody. Hell, I can't fix anybody that doesn't want to be fixed. So fuck them, and their "trainers". They won't get as strong as they could/should be, and in comparison, it just makes me seem much stronger in comparison. More power to this guy, people like him, and people who want to take the easy way out. I'll carry on with my core lifts, continue doing what I'm doing, and keep making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Ball View Post
    Another one would be to just have them do an actual single leg squat- with only one leg participating in the kenetic chain. I'd like to see how much load they could handle for sets of 15.
    I am open to correct but if a true one legged squat is something like a pistol squat then I would hazard a guess that Mike Boyle is not a fan of those either!

Ben Bruno, who interned under him and is another big single leg guy obviously, suggests that (most) people shouldn't do them if there's any lumbar flexion at the bottom... Or if they have ever had a knee problem... Or if if there are 'anthropometry' issues.

I can't find anything Boyle has written on them but I would hazard a guess he is in line with that kind of thinking.

There is a video of Bruno doing a set of 2 weighted pistols on YouTube. He's wearing a vest and holding dumbbells for double bodyweight (177lbs plus bodyweight of 176lbs). So I guess if he were to a set of 15 weighted pistols we can probably guess he would be doing it with a lot less weight. I have a feeling Steve Cotter used to do pistols with two 32kg Kbs racked, but I don't know for how many reps.

You're goddamn right squats are a lower back exercise. Hell not too many muscles the squat doesn't work. But if in fact the lower back is the limiting factor in your squat you have spent too much time doing "leg day". Throw the fucking leg press hamstring curl and leg extension machines in the metal recycle bin and get your ass in a rack under a bar with a weight you can handle with good form for 3x5 and progressively train the posterior chain (lower back included) SYSTEMICALLY the way it was designed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bug War View Post
    I am open to correct but if a true one legged squat is something like a pistol squat then I would hazard a guess that Mike Boyle is not a fan of those either!
    It could also be done as a flying squat, where the bag leg is lifted behind you rather than in front like a pistol (think a split squat while holding your leg up instead of using a bench).

Of course, we're generally discussing better ways to do stupid things...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug War View Post
    But you see Jayson's point, right?

From what I gather, Plague-of-Boyle sees the lower back as the limiting factor in a bilateral squat. To support that position, he provides the "evidence" that his twink athletes can't double the load of their rear-foot-elevated split squat on a bilateral squat. This is absolute nonsense. Total logic-botch.

It's not a unilateral to bilateral comparison; it's stupid-and-inefficient-bilateral to efficient bilateral comparison.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast