starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder rehab video is up

Default Shoulder rehab video is up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Thanks for this, Rip. Perfect timing, as I'm undergoing surgery tomorrow. I'd think you'd do the same thing following labrum repair as you did after cuff repair, right? Would you expect anything to be significantly different?

Great information, thanks Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by pertuset View Post
    Thanks for this, Rip. Perfect timing, as I'm undergoing surgery tomorrow. I'd think you'd do the same thing following labrum repair as you did after cuff repair, right? Would you expect anything to be significantly different?
    Labrum should be less painful, but I think it will probably take a longer period of deload than the cuff repair, and I'd probably be more conservative with the overhead work. BUT, I have no personal experience with a labrum repair. Maybe Will can respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Labrum should be less painful, but I think it will probably take a longer period of deload than the cuff repair, and I'd probably be more conservative with the overhead work. BUT, I have no personal experience with a labrum repair. Maybe Will can respond.
    Active work begins sooner with a labral repair, since there is no contracting tissue being repaired (which then needs to heal), but Rip is absolutely correct, overhead work is slower going on a labral repair. Absolutely no overhead movements for the first 6 weeks. At that point, tissues are healed, and, if it were me, I'd start pressing again and using deep joint pain to be my guide to pull back the reigns, if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Active work begins sooner with a labral repair, since there is no contracting tissue being repaired (which then needs to heal), but Rip is absolutely correct, overhead work is slower going on a labral repair. Absolutely no overhead movements for the first 6 weeks. At that point, tissues are healed, and, if it were me, I'd start pressing again and using deep joint pain to be my guide to pull back the reigns, if need be.
    Thank you. What type of active work, in addition to pulls?

Thanks for making this great video. I really appreciated the thorough discussion of anatomy and function, and the bar through the rings solution is brilliant.

Excellent video. As always, it's concise and clear; no unneeded information.

I wonder how long it will take for the conventional wisdom or PT to align with what makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Excellent video. As always, it's concise and clear; no unneeded information.

I wonder how long it will take for the conventional wisdom or PT to align with what makes sense.
    The answer is never. That isn't entirely the fault of Physical Therapy, as a profession, as the Orthopedic Surgeon community is every bit as much to blame. After that, the majority of the blame still rests on the legal field, as recommending something potentially hard leaves a clinician susceptible to lawsuit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I'd be curious to know the collective wisdom on long-term training with a history of labral damage. I had a SLAP repair done recently on my right shoulder and the instigating factor that caused pain in the first place was pretty clearly overhead work, and chins in particular, bizarrely. I.e. the injury first manifested in weighted chins, and chins were the single most problematic movement pre-injury, with overhead work in general (including strict pressing) the main way to make things feel worse. I took weighted chins much further programming-wise than most people will (e.g. working up to sets of 5 with well over +100 lbs) and am at least a little curious if very heavy weighted chins over many years didn't actually cause the labrum damage. Just to be clear, the pain that would up being diagnosed via MRI (and then confirmed/repaired surgically) was posterior/superior, versus the seemingly more common anterior pain a lot of people experience.

As such I'm a little reluctant to get too ambitious with this stuff in the future as I'm still uncertain as to how I caused the problem in the first place. I've read about rotator cuff injuries on these boards and the mechanisms behind them, but I haven't seen the mechanisms behind labral injuries addressed as much, and labral injuries might actually be more common in younger populations than rotator cuff injuries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast