starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Response from gym regarding uneven floor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Why are the people there so strong?
    Apparently because they train on a sloped surface without complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Even better for your OCD that you'd end up with injuries on both sides of the body, symmetric!!
    Touche! I'd raise a glass to you if I could.....also, too soon!!! >:|

Does the floor move up and down while you squat? No? Then STFU and train.

No Bullshit: I know a couple dozen guys that routinely squat in the high-300s to low-400s on an aircraft carrier while underway (at sea) and one guy that routinely hits 500+. Also, a few ladies squatting in mid-to-high 200s. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    At the point where people quit the gym because of an uneven floor.
    Judging from the responses, I have momentarily focused on the wrong thing. There wont be an exodus from this recreation centre since I've only observed one other person squatting as you have defined. I will carry on and avoid the rack where I sometimes catch my heel on walk out.

Is it optimal? Probably not. Is it impossible to deal with? Definitely not. These Olympic caliber athletes from impoverished parts of Africa have figured it out. Good luck, man.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ5.0 View Post
    Gravity is stronger as one approaches the center of mass. Basement trainees are always the strongest trainees for this reason.
    Mathematically this is incorrect once you've gone below the surface of a sphere. Gravity at the exact center of mass is zero.

Maybe this is a better question to clear up my confusion. If we are so concerned to shim a leg discrepancy of a few millimeters then why are we not so concerned about a similar discrepancy with the surface we train on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Is it optimal? Probably not. Is it impossible to deal with? Definitely not. These Olympic caliber athletes from impoverished parts of Africa have figured it out. Good luck, man.
    Those guys are awesome. I recently heard a guy speaking a podcast doing a charity to start powerlifting teams in Africa and buy equipment for them.

Quote Originally Posted by drecar View Post
    Maybe this is a better question to clear up my confusion. If we are so concerned to shim a leg discrepancy of a few millimeters then why are we not so concerned about a similar discrepancy with the surface we train on?
    There are so many discrepancies everywhere, best to accept them and move on unless it is enough to impact you. With this being a floor I think you are pretty limited with what you can do unless you go elsewhere.

A little chaos is good for you, overhead press; your wife wants you to put up box of junk up on a shelf, chances are that box isn't evenly weighted. Deadlift; you have a wood fireplace and go logging with a buddy, that thick piece of tree you pick up is going to be awkward too.

I wouldn't sweat the floor too much, your hips may not be level, you may hold one shoulder slightly higher than the other. Measure your calves. You'll see discrepancies all over, fix what you deem important, ignore the rest. It'll drive you crazy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by drecar View Post
    Judging from the responses, I have momentarily focused on the wrong thing. There wont be an exodus from this recreation centre since I've only observed one other person squatting as you have defined. I will carry on and avoid the rack where I sometimes catch my heel on walk out.
    That actually sounds like a problem. Now I'm curious. Post a pic

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast