Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Female breasts and bench press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And then she left you.
    I should have squatted more.

When my wife and I married 8.5 years ago her breasts were perky Bs. Now, they are full, womanly Ds. There's only so much fighting that you can do against gravity, and she needs to understand that lifting weights WILL help "tone" the muscles underneath and make them some degree of perkier, but the system isn't magic and fake tits have an unsettling mouth texture. If she's worried about how she looks (belly, hips, thighs, breasts, etc.), advise her to withhold her finally judgement until her body composition transition is more complete. Women tend to worry more about weird looking lumpy parts as they are changing... more so than maintaining a commitment to the "end goal."

I would provide example pictures, but I would like make it to at least our 9th anniversary.

Moc7878, are you asking about breast implants or breasts? I am asking seriously.

Philbert the first paragraph of your post is ... confused. Attraction (the observer) has subjectivity, attractiveness (the observed) is measurable, widely studied, and objective. The studies you cite address the attractiveness of the breast. Both subpectoral and subglandular implant placement are used in cosmetic and reconstruction applications. Subpec is more common in the US. I will answer the question in your second paragraph tomorrow.

David A. Rowe I have several strong critiques of your post (troll?). There is no TONING. This is a word used in unscrupulous or ignorant fitness marketing (recommend reading: books and articles by Mark Rippetoe). Lifting weights nor any other form of exercise will make the breasts "perkier". This is either ignorant, a lie or a joke. Your advice is also bad regarding goal setting. Attractiveness goals, if present, should be defined in advance for all kinds of reasons. This is actually true of any goal for any endeavor. "Just jump right in, figure out your goals later! Don't wanna get too confused!" I will charitably assume the comment about "fake tits" is a joke, otherwise I will uncharitably assume you have never encountered any.

BigA see above.

I saw a Barbell Brigade youtube video one time where Bart's wife suggests that bench significantly helped in that area.

I wonder where people would get the opposite impression? Something they read on the internet, or imagined in their head?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    When my wife and I married 8.5 years ago her breasts were perky Bs. Now, they are full, womanly Ds.
    Either way...

This thread made my morning much better. I am happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    David A. Rowe I have several strong critiques of your post (troll?). There is no TONING. This is a word used in unscrupulous or ignorant fitness marketing (recommend reading: books and articles by Mark Rippetoe). Lifting weights nor any other form of exercise will make the breasts "perkier". This is either ignorant, a lie or a joke. Your advice is also bad regarding goal setting. Attractiveness goals, if present, should be defined in advance for all kinds of reasons. This is actually true of any goal for any endeavor. "Just jump right in, figure out your goals later! Don't wanna get too confused!" I will charitably assume the comment about "fake tits" is a joke, otherwise I will uncharitably assume you have never encountered any.
    I was going to rebut you, but it's Friday... so let me simply open AND close with

"Go fuck yourself."

Have a great weekend, Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Moc7878, are you asking about breast implants or breasts? I am asking seriously.

Philbert the first paragraph of your post is ... confused. Attraction (the observer) has subjectivity, attractiveness (the observed) is measurable, widely studied, and objective. The studies you cite address the attractiveness of the breast. Both subpectoral and subglandular implant placement are used in cosmetic and reconstruction applications. Subpec is more common in the US. I will answer the question in your second paragraph tomorrow.

BigA see above.
    You do realize it's possible for muscles to grow in size and thus have their overall appearance changed right? Especially if changes in bodyweight happen.

How in the hell does benching change the shape of boobs? Boobs aren't muscles. If anything, I would think they would make boobs look bigger, and who doesn't want that?

I feel like this question runs along the lines of the typical "Won't lifting weights make me look bulky?" question.

starting strength coach development program
    The posterior fascia of the breast is partially contiguous (superiorly) with the anterior fascia of pec major. The posterior fascia of the breast determines the breast footprint (where the base of the breast sits on the chest) but not 3D shape or ptosis (the hanging or sagginess of the breast, which is determined by the configuration of the gland itself as well as fibrous strands which are attached to the chest wall). Because Starting Strength Nation knows there is no toning, skin tightening, spot fat loss, or other skin and subcutaneous collagen effects of exercise, we know that the structure of the breast itself would not be changed by exercise.

The question remains: could hypertrophy of pec major affect the footprint (base) of the breast? Mild to moderate hypertrophy of pec major muscle fibers would NOT affect the overlying fascia except to push it slightly anteriorly, and only in the breast’s superior portion. However, most of pec major lies outside of the breast footprint, so the fullness outside of the breast base would increase as well, essentially negating any tiny fullness effect added to the superior portion of the breast. There is no reason to think that the pec major fascia would shift upwards (superiorly) with hypertrophy, it would simply slightly balloon outwards (anteriorly in this case) as with muscle fascia elsewhere. In addition, recall that the inferior breast base is contiguous with the fascia of other muscles (rectus abdominus, serratus anterior, pec minor). If anything, pec hypertrophy would cause the nipples and breast tissue to appear lower, as it would push the superior chest anterior, leaving the inferior breast attached inferiorly and causing an posterior-inferior rotating effect.

Another important aspect of chest aesthetics are the areas adjacent to the breast. The areas surrounding a structure can have a profound impact on the aesthetics of the structure itself. Consider the buttocks, and how the lower back (love handles), superior posterior thigh, medial thigh and trochanteric thigh affect buttock shape and attractiveness.

With this in mind, let us look at the infraclavicular fossa, the area above the breast and below the collarbone. As pec major hypertrophy proceeds, the fossa becomes more shallow, then flat, and finally convex. This obliterates the clavicular shape and relief and decreases curvature and contrast of the superior takeoff of the breast, which makes up part of the visible cleavage and décolletage.

Probably more importantly, pectoralis major hypertrophy causes anterior and lateral projection of the tissues anterior to the axilla (the preaxilla), and lateralization of the axillary fold. In other words, the upper chest and armpit areas widens. This causes a more V-shaped torso. The data show that this increases attractiveness in the male, but not the female.

So, yes, trfranc and Philbert, you are correct. Pec major hypertrophy will not directly change the shape or position of the breast, except to slightly cause posterior-inferior rotation of the nipple-areolar complex and gland (this can also be seen in males). More concerning for female (but not male) aesthetics may be the effects on the preaxilla, overall torso shape, and infraclavicular fossa.

We do not recommend bench press or other pectoralis major exercises at all for patients with subpec implants, and Rippetoe agrees with this.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast