starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meniscus torn by the squat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I must admit that I am insufficiently familiar with underwater hockey to know if this will result in your being able to compete Saturday. Sorry.
    But do you think the Lornoxicam will help at all?
    If it will, there's no reason to not take it. Right now it looks like I may be competing but would need to lose pucks due to the knee.
    ANY improvement will be better than nothing, obviously.

The mechanism of injury for most meniscus injuries is a rotational, weight bearing load with a shift a-p or lateral. For the ACL, it is generally a deceleration and pivot load to unload injury. Most athletes or people feel the pop or injury during the unloading phase of the change in direction. If you had a healthy meniscus, and the form was spot on, i wouldn't think you would injure it. If that's what you injured? A meniscal injury will cause some swelling but an ACL rupture will cause near immediate diffuse swelling.(one less vascular than the other respectively)

IF it is a meniscus, I wouldn't take the NSAID for more than a few days, since an inflammatory process is not the problem. Save it, you'll need it later.

I must admit that I am insufficiently familiar with underwater hockey to know if this will result in your being able to compete Saturday. Sorry.
    During December's seminar at WFAC, Mark from New Zealand described an interesting competition his "friend" takes part in. I wonder if Underwater Hockey uses the same pool as the Underwater Breath-Holders hold their collective breaths in? Wish I had Mark's number.....I would ask him.

Sounds like minor meniscus tear to me but only your MRI will show it properly.

Tears in both knees here. Left knee surgery, right knee left alone and has a little piece floating. Sometimes locks and flares up and will only settle with rest AND some CORRECTLY performed squats with whatever weight feels comfortable on the day. A week or two settles mine.

You look to have made good progress. Wise short term action will benefit your continued progress. This is not something to push through.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GudeMN View Post
    During December's seminar at WFAC, Mark from New Zealand described an interesting competition his "friend" takes part in. I wonder if Underwater Hockey uses the same pool as the Underwater Breath-Holders hold their collective breaths in? Wish I had Mark's number.....I would ask him.
    Well, although NZ just finished 6th two weeks ago at the world championships, they are considered, by most, the best underwater hockey nation, especially in terms of how developed the game is there. They have highschool leagues, which are hell not of an obvious thing.
    My opinion is that they finished 6th only because of fitness level which was not as required, probably, for worlds, but their skills and teamwork is WAY better than other countries. Their national team is ~80% the same for the last ~6 years, and their ~32 year old players, or even 35+ which can technically play in the masters, are just not fit as the 25 year old french, aussies, etc. Also there is that thing that during the last ~5 years about 6+ of their top players went to studies abroad and while playing there, became coaches and taught other countries how to play, so the international level went way up, but most of it came from NZ to be honest.
    Only my opinion though.

Anyway, if your friend from NZ mentioned anything about freediving, it will be VERY surprising if he hasn't been exposed to underwater hockey, or even play it.

IF it is a meniscus, I wouldn't take the NSAID for more than a few days, since an inflammatory process is not the problem. Save it, you'll need it later.
    Thank you very much for the replies (-:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12