starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Gym in NYC: Podcast with David Osorio

Default The Best Gym in NYC: Podcast with David Osorio

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

As a current OP PTA looking to to start a small gym, I unfortunately have the same story as David.

a bone to pick - taking nothing away from Crossfit South Brooklyn, there are plenty of places in NYC where you can drop weights, use chalk, etc. Just this week I was doing Power Cleans, while two guys (trainers at that gym) were Low Bar Squatting. I regularly see guys pulling 500+ and squatting in the 400s. fwiw.

Go ahead and plug them. Names?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    a bone to pick - taking nothing away from Crossfit South Brooklyn, there are plenty of places in NYC where you can drop weights, use chalk, etc. Just this week I was doing Power Cleans, while two guys (trainers at that gym) were Low Bar Squatting. I regularly see guys pulling 500+ and squatting in the 400s. fwiw.
    Yep - would be interested to hear where in NYC this is. Been training in NYC for 10 years and have probably seen 1-2 other people ever pull over 500 and maybe a handful of people who ever squatted to depth, let alone did so with weight in the 400s.

Equinox. I'm not saying its better than anywhere else, but I'd like to defend my city (even though I'd rather be back south). They have a bunch of different spots around New York (and the country). All the gyms have different "vibes." The one at Park and 33rd street has a real powerlifting/strongman training culture (in addition to elipticals and adductor/abductor machines). It was actually the trainers there that led me to discover you guys.

On another note I was down in New Orleans recently and took one day to train. No one there had ever seen anyone deadlift before. They asked me why I had socks to my knees.

Equinox?? Seriously? A better gym than CFSB?? You've never been to Osorio's gym.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    Yep - would be interested to hear where in NYC this is. Been training in NYC for 10 years and have probably seen 1-2 other people ever pull over 500 and maybe a handful of people who ever squatted to depth, let alone did so with weight in the 400s.
    I'm REALLY not trying to sell this place - there are too many people squatting and pressing in the racks so busy times are a real pain. In fact Solace is a great choice despite Wolf and his man bun.

But - Equinox at 33rd and Park Ave has a rep for some real lifters - nicknamed "Iron Park." A guy there recently pulled 650 just the other day and another guy there has squatted in the 6's in competition with just knee wraps and a belt. I've even see a guy bench 500 (admittedly he's likely juicing and bounced it pretty hard off his chest).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Equinox?? Seriously? A better gym than CFSB?? You've never been to Osorio's gym.
    NOOOOOOO. NOT BETTER!!! Osorio's place is awesome. I would choose it any day over even this equinox. I am taking nothing away from CFSB. Just saying that we aren't total tools here in the big city and some people do know how to lift.

If I lived anywhere near CFSB I'd be going there, but a 3 block walk vs. 1 hour to get to CFSB kinda tilts the scales.

CFSB is hands down the best gym in the city I've been to (taking nothing away from what Wolf is doing at Solace, or at his previous facilities).

However, without debating what the best gym in the city is, the worst gyms in the city have come a tremendous way in the last few years. The squat rack is a busy place these days, and a lot of folks are looking down and doing fives.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    CFSB is hands down the best gym in the city I've been to (taking nothing away from what Wolf is doing at Solace, or at his previous facilities).

However, without debating what the best gym in the city is, the worst gyms in the city have come a tremendous way in the last few years. The squat rack is a busy place these days, and a lot of folks are looking down and doing fives.
    To that end I recently spoke to a guy who runs a Planet Fitness type business. He indicated that there is increasing demand for barbells, which he loves because they are soooo much cheaper than machines.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast