Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Coach (any sport)

JudoATunez Guest

Default Becoming a Coach (any sport)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Ripp,
    I know that you're busy dealing with all sorts of questions related with S&C, injuries, etc., but I hoping if you could share some light on this topic, because you, in contrast to the most famous coaches I personally know, in my sport, get to train people with all kinds of ability/potential.

Even though you gained your authority through your work, coaching ability and reliability, do you think you would have become the strength coach you are today had you not been an accomplished powerlifter? Do you think your results had a great impact on your coaching career?

I ask you this because I have not yet achieved the results I work for in my sport, and when I look around, I see that many of the great coaches we have were also very good competitors. This leaves me wondering if it's possible to ever become a good coach, on any modality, without having been successful in competition.

I don't mean to waste your time with pointless questions. Your opinion is meaningful to me, because of your coaching experience, as strength translates to all things of life.

I was NOT a great powerlifter, Judo. I was not even a good powerlifter. Furthermore, it has been observed that the best athletes damn near ALWAYS make the worst coaches.

Why might that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I was NOT a great powerlifter, Judo. I was not even a good powerlifter. Furthermore, it has been observed that the best athletes damn near ALWAYS make the worst coaches.

Why might that be?
    People who are naturally gifted at lifting never learn about the little things us normals do to try to make our lifts above average. They just show up and things work out for them, and they think the same can happen for others. Weirdly, this isn't always, but can be, the same in other domains. I act and a couple of the best actors I know are actually great teachers. Some of the best scientists have written fantastic popular science books, etc..

Why might that be?
    Hard to coach something that comes natural to you, when you just "get it", and you haven't had to go through the steps or made the mistakes you are trying to teach someone else about?

Why are PhD math guys the worst teachers of college algebra?

Awkward social skills?

My brother-in-law is a research chemist. He got his doctorate pretty young because he is really good at it. During his tour as a TA to undergrads he would say, "I kinda like teaching. I just hate grading exams and answering stupid questions."

Don't say this out loud. I'll lose my job.

More seriously, the greatest teachers know not only the stuff they teach but they also know what is important for learning. Some people for whom the learning came easy, are lazy or blind thinking it will or even should be easy for everyone else.

I don't know how they teach college algebra in the US, but seriously, unless you learn what a homomorphism is, you don't know algebra. And no, it's got nothing to do with gay rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Awkward social skills?

My brother-in-law is a research chemist. He got his doctorate pretty young because he is really good at it. During his tour as a TA to undergrads he would say, "I kinda like teaching. I just hate grading exams and answering stupid questions."
    I had several "teachers" like this.

I don't know. I've had that experience, too. Maybe they're just not interested in the subject. I've had fantastic intro science classes from PhDs, though. Some of my favorite science classes in college were introductory courses.

starting strength coach development program
    They don't understand why you don't understand. And surely you don't believe that all PhDs are brilliant scientists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast