Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An interesting exchange

Default An interesting exchange

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    One "Laura Simms" writes:

Hi Rip,

My husband recently introduced me to Starting Strength. I was a little skeptical at first. He coached me through a couple training sessions at the gym and I wasn't that into it. But then the third day, I went to the gym on my own. I had my own music. I worked at my own pace. I felt ownership over my session and walked out of the gym feeling physically strong, empowered, and excited for the next work day.

I went home and watched some of your videos about proper form to make sure I was doing everything right, even practicing with a broom to build muscle memory. I was able to correct my husband's form on his deadlift, which was awesome (to me, ha). I bought the app; my husband already had it so I could have read his, but as a small business owner, I like to support others' work. I read the included material, and sought out additional articles specific to women and Starting Strength. It's safe to say that I'm enthusiastic and have gotten tremendous value out of the resources you provide.

And then tonight, I hopped on the forums. I searched the word "female," curious about the 5x3 program and the experience of other women on the program. One of the first posts to come up was an earnest question aboutfemale breasts and bench press. Here was your response:

"I'm glad you asked this question. It could be that she is right. I have had decades of experience with the examination of breasts both before and after strength training. Before giving a definitive answer, I'll need to see the breasts in question. Post photos of these breasts unencumbered by clothing from a minimum of 5 angles in your reply. For the most complete analysis, I'll also need to see videos of these naked breasts in motion, so videos of her walking, lying on her back, and on her knees will be very helpful."

Some responses that followed include:

"And maybe a few classier shots, for those of us at work. Playful cleavage, tasteful sideboob, spilled milk on white tank top, etc."

"What an amateur. This situation obviously requires an in-person, private consultation. With all the complexities involved it could last for hours..."

For fucking real?

I expect strength training to be a boy's club. I expect that the programming will be developed for young men and I'll have to adapt. I expect to be viewed as purely decorative and/or incompetent by the many of the men I'll be lifting near. But give me a goddamn break. Please consider shutting down sexist comments on your forums instead of starting them.

I'm sure you think you and the guys are just having a good time and that I'm too sensitive. If you want women to feel welcome in your community and in the larger strength training community, cut it out.

Or maybe you could only take me seriously if I said this while I was on my knees.

Dedicating my next (anger-fueled) training session to you,
    Laura
    I responded:

To help me decide how to respond to your allegations, I'll need to see a few photos of you. Purely in the interest of analytical accuracy, of course. The photos need not be completely nude, but whatever your husband is okay with, I'm okay with.

Rip

To which "Laura" replied:

Touché.
    But seriously, have some respect. The world is not your locker room.
    So, I said:

Fortunately, my website is not the whole world. Take the opportunity to read elsewhere, please.

And the death blow:

Yes, fortunately. But it's a part of the world I was excited to participate in.

In addition to strength training principles, here's what you've taught me:

1. Talk about women like they're objects for your amusement and pleasure.

2. Create a culture where other men feel free to do the same.

3. If a woman speaks up about it, use sexual harassment to try to shut her down.

4. If you still get push back, tell her go away. (It's easier to isolate people than it is to take personal responsibility for your own words and actions.)

I'm not going to email you again. I'm blocking your email address.

I will be reading your website, but now I know what you stand for. Thanks for setting the record straight.

You're welcome, darling. But blocking my email address will prevent me from inviting you to the wet t-shirt contest we hold here at WFAC every month. This will leave a gaping (sorry) hole (sorry) in your social calendar that can only be filled by ME. The Sexiest Man Alive.

That chick needs to get a grip. This forum is not a "safe space" and should never become one. You can ignore what is arguably offensive, but I find it interesting to get uncensored insight into the male psyche.

Hitch was right. Women aren't funny. Take a joke, Miss Simms. Please.

What exactly is sexist about liking breasts? I am confused by her response. How has she gotten this far through life without knowing that guys love breasts?

I'll bet anyone a dollar that broad doesn't want to Make America Great Again.

It's some weird women's' problem. I don't think any guy would really mind seeing girls discussing dicks (or whatever they like in men most). But for women, it's somehow a problem. And then they are talking about equality? They are not ready for it yet. They need to get rid of their "inferiority complex" first.

I must say that was certainly an interesting exchange.

At the risk of wading into a bad discussion, Rip were being a bit of a dick to "Laura Sims". To be clear, Im not alleging you are sexist and there is a lot of good content for females including recent articles on training during pregnancy and body image/eating disorders, and advice on lower rep ranges etc. I must admit, when I read the start of the thread female breasts and bench press (and several others) I have chosen not to read those threads further.

As a (ugly) guy, if I wrote a question about whether doing bench would make my chest look bad I doubt you would ask for pics, but tell me that this is a strength forum not a bodybuilding forum. Or tell me to DTFP until I can squat 400, bench 300, and pull 500 then decide.

I can absolutely see how your response offended. Seriously, cant you see that? Would you be happy with females in your family being talked to this way?

Jesus... if you could bottle the sarcasm and sell it...

How did she not get it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    As a (ugly) guy, if I wrote a question about whether doing bench would make my chest look bad I doubt you would ask for pics, but tell me that this is a strength forum not a bodybuilding forum. Or tell me to DTFP until I can squat 400, bench 300, and pull 500 then decide.
    Post a picture. WE shall be the judge of who's ugly.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast