starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: System-wide adaptation to strength training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wouldnīt an actual in adaptation lacking tendon be the very cause of a deviation from optimal technique under heavy load?
    Wich would be a perfectly good reason to cut off those reps and go for a reset?
    So whether the phenomenon is or insnīt real, it is acounted for, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    With all due respect, your PA friend doesn't have the first clue in how to treat tendonitis effectively with NSAIDs. I've always had good luck with 3200mg/day for 4-5 days. So 800mg 4 times per day should pretty well clear up your issues. Anyways, that is my internet-level assessment.

If you are like most, you'll probably take about 800mg for 2 days and then say that ibuprofen didn't work and wind up in a PT clinic doing a bunch of silly bullshit.
    Holy crap, that is a lot of ibuprofen. Any side effects besides feeling better?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Marc, it could be that you just hurt a little. There may be nothing wrong with your form, but the process of going from the general public to a lifter takes a while for some people to adapt to. Take some tylenol, try to get some sleep. Learn to deal with it.
    I'm planning on sticking with this for as long as I physically can.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    General education here: when I prescribe ibuprofen to someone with active tendinitis, the standard script is 800mg ibuprofen three times per day for 10-14 days. If your kidneys have never given you problems, you don't have ulcers, and you take it with food and / or milk, you should be fine. If you have a big, bleeding ulcer, or you have Chronic Kidney Disease Stage III, you probably shouldn't take NSAIDs. If you take then without food or milk, you may have some nausea.

I've always had good luck with 3200mg/day for 4-5 days. So 800mg 4 times per day should pretty well clear up your issues.
    Andy, I've always had good luck with 3200mg/day, but I get to the third day and that shit really starts to wreak havoc on my stomach. Always take with milk or full stomach but always end up wussing out. Do you know of any other options for tummy-pussies like me? Naproxen, etc?

On days where you're feeling extra beat up, eat more. I make a shake that's a scoop or two of whey, yogurt, frozen berries and a couple handfuls of kale on those days. Something about the antioxidants and vitamins gives your body a boost. Eat something nice and fatty for dinner, like mashed potatoes and a fatty cut of meat or roast, mac and cheese, meatloaf or a few cheeseburgers. It'll help you feel better and you'll sleep like a baby, which will help too.

With all due respect, your PA friend doesn't have the first clue in how to treat tendonitis effectively with NSAIDs. I've always had good luck with 3200mg/day for 4-5 days. So 800mg 4 times per day should pretty well clear up your issues. Anyways, that is my internet-level assessment.

If you are like most, you'll probably take about 800mg for 2 days and then say that ibuprofen didn't work and wind up in a PT clinic doing a bunch of silly bullshit.
    My PA friend told me 3200 mg a day was max for tendonitis/osis. I took 2000 mg between yesterday evening and today's workout and had no pain during or after. Since I no longer feel pain with various ranges of motion and palpation around my knees, I will stop using the ibuprofen. The pain I felt after Tuesday's squats was mild. If it ever gets back to what it was a month ago, I'll go back on this cycle as it appears to have worked for me. Thanks for your input.

Kidney damage is a possible side effect. Feeling better or kidney damage is not guaranteed. The risk for the latter, per my PA friend, is mitigated by consuming lots of fluids and food.

Quote Originally Posted by thorrrsten View Post
    Wouldnīt an actual in adaptation lacking tendon be the very cause of a deviation from optimal technique under heavy load?
    Wich would be a perfectly good reason to cut off those reps and go for a reset?
    So whether the phenomenon is or insnīt real, it is acounted for, right?
    Summary of this thread so far:

1. Ensure proper form, rest, sufficient nutrition.
    2. If the above is dialed in, consider slowing down and or adding ibuprofen.
    3. If this doesn't work then go do something else as the effort determining whether SS is infallible vs. your genetics sucks could be better spent elsewhere.

Search function.
    Google

Possibility of getting a stomach ulcer but that's all as far as I know, even medical people don't worry about Ibuprofen to be fair, work as a Hospital Dentist in Scotland and in the emergency clinics days you have people come in that have taken something like 5-6 thousand mgs of ibuprofen and when you contact the Doctors in A&E they're not bothered meanwhile Paracetamol that's a more dangerous painkiller.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    Andy, I've always had good luck with 3200mg/day, but I get to the third day and that shit really starts to wreak havoc on my stomach. Always take with milk or full stomach but always end up wussing out. Do you know of any other options for tummy-pussies like me? Naproxen, etc?
    Naproxen, aspirin, mobic, feldene, etc....brand name Aleve is good. 2x a day for 10-14 days. Take with plenty of fluid as it has a tendency to cause reflux if not taken with enough fluid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast