starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: System-wide adaptation to strength training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd also take some proton-pump inhibitor like omeprazole during the ibuprofen, especially if you are prone to stomach problems. You may get slightly more gas than usual but it protects the stomach lining.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Naproxen, aspirin, mobic, feldene, etc....brand name Aleve is good. 2x a day for 10-14 days. Take with plenty of fluid as it has a tendency to cause reflux if not taken with enough fluid.
    So as a rule, Naproxen is easier on the stomach? Sounds like you need to stay on it longer for the same effect. Found the following dosage recommendation at Drugs.com:

Usual Adult Dose for Tendonitis
    Immediate Release (naproxen sodium):
    550 mg orally once, followed by 275 mg orally every 6 to 8 hours or 550 mg orally every 12 hours as needed
    -Maximum dose: Initial total daily dose not to exceed 1375 mg; thereafter, not to exceed 1100 mg/day

Does this sound about right or can a 215# 53 yr old guy be a more liberal in mg dosage as needed?

General education here: when I prescribe ibuprofen to someone with active tendinitis, the standard script is 800mg ibuprofen three times per day for 10-14 days. If your kidneys have never given you problems, you don't have ulcers, and you take it with food and / or milk, you should be fine. If you have a big, bleeding ulcer, or you have Chronic Kidney Disease Stage III, you probably shouldn't take NSAIDs. If you take then without food or milk, you may have some nausea.
    I started this yesterday evening and am already feeling a hell of a lot better. It's a strange feeling to get up out of a chair or put my shoes/socks on anticipating pain, and not feeling any. Haven't taken this much ibuprofen since I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

I dealt with pain during my LP but it was due to poor technique. After coaching from an SSC seminar, and help from vitamin I, I never have pain other than occasional DOMS if I'm pushing things close to failure (RPE 9.5-10). I'm a sicko though and love the DOMS!

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Holy crap, that is a lot of ibuprofen. Any side effects besides feeling better?
    I get this gaping bloody hole that opens up in my stomach but that's about it. I have my training partner hold my intestines in while I squat so they don't drag on the floor. I'd do anything for a PR, dude Wouldn't you?

I started this yesterday evening and am already feeling a hell of a lot better. It's a strange feeling to get up out of a chair or put my shoes/socks on anticipating pain, and not feeling any. Haven't taken this much ibuprofen since I had my wisdom teeth pulled.
    Most people miss out on the true power of NSAIDs by only taking them PRN. The anti-inflammatory benefit takes a bit of time to accumulate (generally about 4-5 days). If you take it at 800mg (3-4x per day, but get off of it by day 10) you run very little risk of anything but getting back to training swiftly.

Most people miss out on the true power of NSAIDs by only taking them PRN. The anti-inflammatory benefit takes a bit of time to accumulate (generally about 4-5 days). If you take it at 800mg (3-4x per day, but get off of it by day 10) you run very little risk of anything but getting back to training swiftly.
    And in my most recent training session, I had pain free squats. Will the pain come back right away once these few days of gobbling up ibuprofen is done?

starting strength coach development program
    And in my most recent training session, I had pain free squats. Will the pain come back right away once these few days of gobbling up ibuprofen is done?
    If your form is correct, doing SS as advocated, eating enough (animal protein) I honestly don't see why you should get pain again unless you're 60+ years old.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234