starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Olympic Games

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, I just saw Jesus hard foul Alah. Where else are you going to see that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    While I respect his accomplishments as an athlete immensely, it remains to be seen how he will perform as a coach. Usually Elite athletes struggle with this.
    Setting an american snatch record and finishing 6th overall... I'd say they are working well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you think my boycott has anything whatsoever to do with floor pulls????????
    I don't. I'm sorry, I was being an s.o.b. I'm not watching them for the same reason that you aren't watching them. I'm boycotting the fear of testosterone.

But as all jokes have a little bit of truth... the bad floor pulling doesn't bother you just a lil bit?

That's why I don't watch lifting anymore. The Olympics are different issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by MWittmer View Post
    Adam, that was excellent! I've reached the point that I believe the Olympics should be discontinued.
    The real Olympics stopped a long time ago. Theodosius I banned them as a pagan festival that honored Zeus.

The modern Olympics have been in a state of decline since bankrupt states have been mortgaging their future wealth to pay for them.

Australia has the Federally funded Australian Institute of Sport spending millions to advance sport science with an elite set of athletes to win medals. Britain has gone down the same path as Canada and Australia. If the US wants to increase its medal tally the Fed has to fund an Olympic training program.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    IMHO "Women's" gymnastics should be eliminated. These are not grown women but teen aged girls who are way to dependent on their coaches.
    What about Oksana Chusovitina?

Quote Originally Posted by MWittmer View Post
    Adam, that was excellent! I've reached the point that I believe the Olympics should be discontinued.
    Maybe american coverage should be discontinued. The Olympics here are pretty well commented and covered, with focus on the sports and the performances rather than drama. So are the NFL, NBA and all the leagues.

The bad media concentrates on football/soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobr View Post
    I must say I was surprised to see Pyrros Dimas accompanying the -48 kg USA weightlifter girl. Maybe there is hope for the future, getting proper coaches?
    While I respect his accomplishments as an athlete immensely, it remains to be seen how he will perform as a coach. Usually Elite athletes struggle with this.
    this,

I don't think its a good hire for the US.
    But I guess first off, I think Dimas is some kind of Admin guy . . . not a 'coach' perse. . .

I'm sure that system Dimas was brought up in was rife with drugs.
    Greece has had quite a few bans since his time.
    (improved testing, more testing, out of comp testing, etc . . . . in 2008 ELEVEN sanctioned lifters at one time)
    (since then, like Bulgaria, has kinda fell off the radar)

Dimas did ridiculous Bulgarian Style programming, which IMO can only work with a fuckton of drugs.
    So if the USAWL isn't going to dope . . .well . . . .I don't know what insight Dimas is going to have.

The guy was super talented freaky . . . can you teach that tho?

Quote Originally Posted by Nardaq View Post
    Setting an american snatch record and finishing 6th overall... I'd say they are working well together.
    Dimas had little to nothing to do with her results. Morghan King's performance I think is absolutely outstanding. She came in 6th place, which is better than Shane Hamman did (no disrespect to him, a phenomenal lifter) and she has only been training in weightlifting for 4 years. And she is 30 years old, which is older in this sport. Despite all this, her total was only 5kg less than the bronze medalist. Four years to being within shooting range of the podium at the olympics is pretty good. I sincerely hope that she can make a run in 2020.

Men's gymnastics finals just started. During the team introductions, NBC's commentators discussed the US women's Olympics team rather than introduce and talk about the teams competing. Sad to see broadcast idiocy carry over to the live streams. At least there are no up close and in persons, or whatever they call it.

The commentary for weightlifting is so much less annoying.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    The commentary for weightlifting is so much less annoying.
    The women WL commentator is an idiot.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast