starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: An example of Stef's explanation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    My squat form is still not perfect, and I've blown a lot of time on high bar before discovering low-bar.
    Did you get stronger while doing high-bar squat? Because if so, you didn't blow your time on it. Preferring low-bar (which I do) doesn't mean high-bar is worthless. They're still squats, not leg extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This is a particularly important point Greg. The rest of this thread can be thrown away, but this statement is an absolute gem. You may find the rest a bit embarrassing, but this stated observation could be placed in any number of threads and be useful. Get your head down, chest up, and drive out of the hole. To get started, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. Put the bar on your back and mimic what you see in the videos on here as best you can. Video yourself and post them in the SSC board. We will adjust when we need to, but we can't adjust anything when you are paralyzed with inaction.
    Gpcpa - I'm not much of a rah rah guy, but I do struggle with compulsiveness and paralysis of analysis. The advice above is solid. Just get in there and squat. Once you get a few weeks under your belt the motivation is self perpetuating. You don't need to worry about the whole 'process' of getting strong. Just do the next workout. You'll want to do the next workout because you're doing things you've never done before and you're amazed at how your body is adapting. You're amazed that a week ago you did something that was so hard you could hardly finish that last rep. And then you add 5 pounds and do it again. It stays so simple for so long. I'm sure I'm projecting somewhat - but damn PR squats feel fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Did you get stronger while doing high-bar squat? Because if so, you didn't blow your time on it. Preferring low-bar (which I do) doesn't mean high-bar is worthless. They're still squats, not leg extensions.
    Fair point. I can see how that statement would contradict the point I was trying to make. I didn't go into details in the original post, but I was attempting high-bar ATG (sometimes paused) squats that led me into some really ominous sciatica for a bit that fortunately seems to be continuing to get better as I squat to a depth that doesn't require lumbar flexion to hit. You are definitely correct that the time was beneficial - I both learned a lot of lessons and did gain some strength. And yes, I was certainly better off than in previous years of machines for fear of tackling the squat and dead. If nothing else, the form mistakes led me to today, where I feel I'm just a few moderate form issues away from having a pretty decent squat that I can start really loading.

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    If nothing else, the form mistakes led me to today, where I feel I'm just a few moderate form issues away from having a pretty decent squat that I can start really loading.
    Getting really good at the same light weight squat you've been doing for many sessions in order to fix form issues, get the form down, really make sure my form is solid....whichever.... before you can start loading the squat is subtly misguided. Arriving at excellent form with 135 then beginning to add load ten pounds/session for (let's say...) 9 sessions gets us to 225. What your form looks like with 225 has little to with how long you spent dinking around at 135. Load is both instructive and challenging to form.

The point is to always be working to execute the squat to the model no matter the load on the bar. This prevents - or at least minimizes the chances of - developing a bunch of slop in the movement as the load increases.

Lastly, consider this - your lovely form at 135 says nothing about what your form at 185 would be if you just impulsively added 50 pounds to the bar one day, correct? I mean a big leap like that is sure to goof up your form, right? Okay, now let's say we did as Mean Ol' Bill says and did those 9 sessions with 10 extra pounds on the bar each session. After you've done that, now what does your form look like at 185?

Since the mechanical relationship between the COM of the lifter's body and the COM of the barbell changes as the load increases, form "perfected" at a light weight is irrelevant to heavier loads. This important point eludes many people, including the majority of Olympic weightlifting coaches who insist on having their advanced lifters hit a heavy attempt every couple of months.

starting strength coach development program
    Guess I've inadvertently fallen into a similar rut to that of Gpcpa. Point taken - thanks all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123