starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trumpet stuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    It's an album. I had a copy sent to WFAC.
    Came today. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thomson View Post
    Helseth is nice, but her interpretations of the literature are so conservative as to be almost uninteresting. I much prefer André, Bud Herseth, Armando Ghitalla, and my friend Rex Richardson. *Sips chianti*
    I'd give you that. I guess that I might like it because it's so conservative? I'm not sure. Perhaps she feels she's too young to step outside the box quite yet; doesn't want to be labeled an upstart? (I might catch some flak for this, but this is mostly me channeling my boss who happens to be a woman and from Texas) Being a woman, she'd be subjected to more criticism if she pushed the boundaries (but that works the other way too I guess: would be equally criticized for not taking enough chances)?

Either way, I'll check out those other artists you listed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thomson View Post
    Ah, ok. Sorry about that. I'm still getting the hang of this whole internet thing. Cheers.
    It's all good, my friend. Rest assured that I am a smartass in real life. We can take it to the Trumpet Herald or Trumpet Master forums if you feel like an easy fight.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    For anyone who assumed that Wynton Marsalis' playing was limited to jazz [...]
    He's the man, ain't he? I remember my dad always ran into my room and have me change the channel to PBS when Wynton'd be on there playing principal for some orchestra. I'll admit that I used to be one of those guys who says he's too clean (read: up my own ass and didn't know any better).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Came today. Thanks.
    Excellent. Enjoy!

I'm listening to this record as I train. The guy has amazing chops, but these songs are just not interesting melodically.

I'm listening to this record as I train. The guy has amazing chops, but these songs are just not interesting melodically.
    I feel ya. It's vanilla, to be sure.

I ordered this Chase 3-pack (Chase, Ennea, and Pure Music) which got delivered yesterday. Prior to that, I hadn't owned anything by him. We used to play the hell out of "Get it On" in high school jazz band, but I didn't know anything about Bill Chase at the time.

Unrelated: This book, The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis, recently came out that I thought looked up your alley. I ordered a copy for my wife who's into horses and history.
    Amazon.com: The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis (9780345544803): Elizabeth Letts: Books
    "Lonesome Dove with Nazis" might make a good tagline for the mini-series. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This seems to be true with a lot of the modern virtuoso compositions. Every effort is made to display a 4-5 octave range and blistering technique, at the expense of a 4-bar melody. While the late 19th and early 20th century virtuosi showpieces (e.g. Carnival of Venice, Napoli, etc.) seem a bit "played out", the main melody is something that you might catch yourself whistling.
    Aye. There are some virtuosos (or virtuosi; also acceptable, apparently) who, try as I might, I can't really get into compared to someone who plays at a "lower level" in a unique way. I've listened to Charlie Parker quite a bit, but it's never something I go crazy for (too busy sounding?). Gavin Harrison is clean and rhythmically creative and intelligent, but can also be boring at the end of the day.

Perfect example. Parker vs Desmond. Or Stan Getz.

There are so many great players out there to listen to. Some of my favorites to youtube:

Classical: Phil Smith, Bob Sullivan, Michael Sachs, Chris Martin, Bud Herseth

Solo: Joe Burgstaller, Reinhold Freideich, Hans Gansch, Ryan Anthony, Sergei Nakariakov, Wynton Marsalis, Maurice Andre, Urban Agnas

Jazz: Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Ryan Kisor

Quintet/Ensembles: Mnozil Brass, German Brass, Canadian Brass

Studio/Commercial: Tim Morrison, Malcolm Mcnab, Rick Baptist

Perfect example. Parker vs Desmond. Or Stan Getz.
    Agreed.

There are so many musicians who go so far into "playing for themselves", which of course on some level you must do, that they forget about the audience.

I like guys that actually like to play for people.

Don't get me wrong, I like some weird stuff, but there has to be a song and the chops have to serve something other than the display of those chops.

Twice I've seen him live, and both times he just jacked off on stage with his trumpet. That's mostly what modern jazz horn players do IMO, chop-out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    Twice I've seen him live, and both times he just jacked off on stage with his trumpet.
    You've just knocked down Tom C. to become my 4th favorite SSC (Men's Division) with this comment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast