starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast: Mac Ward and back injuries

Default Podcast: Mac Ward and back injuries

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Back Injuries | Starting Strength Podcast

No more back injury threads until after you watch this.

So this probably is going to put me in your bad books Mr. Rippetoe and most likely won't get posted, however having seen this interview, your previous podcast and literally read 42 back injury threads still needed to ask this question.

You have an intermediate trainee, tweak his back during an intensity day workout on squats due to loss of rigidity in last rep (Minor 1-2/10 pain if bending down and getting better little by little). If said trainee managed to do his 5x5 Volume day (With a 5lb increase) squats with 0 pain. Would it be stupid for said trainee to go for his Intensity day and increase it by 5 lbs?

Sure. Don't get loose this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sure. Don't get loose this time.
    Cheers, trust me learned my lesson, was just wanting to make sure I won't make it worse especially since have my first meet in 8 weeks and i'm getting close to a 440 squat (200 kg makes more sense)

I really don't know how to phrase this properly, most people tweak their backs twisting out of the office chair to pick up their pen, you've got a similar tweak but you're doing 200kg squats, are these tweaks and your ability to work through them even comparable?

I am constantly impressed with people on these boards asking in all modesty if it's ok to lift a fraction more (if they keep it tight) when most of the people I know can't even comprehend squatting with an empty bar. The adaptations that have taken place are so huge and yet they're almost not recognized.

What's the logic behind the alternating NSAID protocol? Why not concentrate on one type of medicine every 4 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    What's the logic behind the alternating NSAID protocol? Why not concentrate on one type of medicine every 4 hours?
    Perhaps Dr. Sullivan was recommending this course of alternating medications (Tylenol is not an NSAID) to maximize pain relief and minimize the chance that Mac ends up with a bleeding ulcer from taking 800mg of ibuprofen every four hours. Tylenol and Ibuprofen compliment each other well, because Tylenol is not anti-inflammatory, and addresses pain relief through the suppression of prostaglandin E2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekingman View Post
    I really don't know how to phrase this properly, most people tweak their backs twisting out of the office chair to pick up their pen, you've got a similar tweak but you're doing 200kg squats, are these tweaks and your ability to work through them even comparable?

I am constantly impressed with people on these boards asking in all modesty if it's ok to lift a fraction more (if they keep it tight) when most of the people I know can't even comprehend squatting with an empty bar. The adaptations that have taken place are so huge and yet they're almost not recognized.
    Words alone cannot do justice to how much I like your post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Perhaps Dr. Sullivan was recommending this course of alternating medications (Tylenol is not an NSAID) to maximize pain relief and minimize the chance that Mac ends up with a bleeding ulcer from taking 800mg of ibuprofen every four hours. Tylenol and Ibuprofen compliment each other well...
    This. Acetaminophen + NSAID is an excellent analgesic regimen. I have used it personally, and in my medical practice, for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    This. Acetaminophen + NSAID is an excellent analgesic regimen. I have used it personally, and in my medical practice, for many years.
    What exactly is the dosage?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustafson View Post
    What exactly is the dosage?
    I don't prescribe over the InterwebZ. Consult your physician.

I can only say that, when I'm in pain, I take acetaminophen 1000 mg every six hours, and aspirin 325 every 8 hours. (I don't take Motrin, because I'm on a baby asa a day.) I have never found that this regimen is necessary for more than a few days.

If I have acute pain (I've just now fucked up my elbow, say, or I have a burn or a back tweak), I take ASA 650 and acetaminophen 1000 mg together. That's right. I actually take them at the same time. Simultaneously. Can you believe that shit? Danger is my middle name.

If that doesn't work then, like most reasonable people, I go straight to IV heroin. I prefer the Thai to the more popular Afghan. Thai heroin has a spicy, playful quality, a delightful lemon-grass bouquet, and a smooth, hypnotic finish. I find the Afghan to be too sneaky, and yet also too assertive, like a mortar hidden under a burka.

YMMV.

This farcical post is for illustrative and infotainment purposes only, is very silly, and does not constitute medical advice for any particular patient, person, disease, disorder or condition. Taking medical advice over the InterwebZ is a frightfully bad idea. If you have any pain at all, you should seek medical attention and probably get a bunch of tests and xrays and a Rx for Oxy. Sullivan is not your doctor, and even if he were he would probably just fuck you up or poison you, and you'd end up on a liver transplant list--but still with back pain. IV heroin should only be taken upon the advice of your primary care physician and used strictly as directed. Remember, you can reduce medical waste and help save the planet by sharing needles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast