starting strength gym

Thread: Bill Starr Biography

Default Bill Starr Biography

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

1. Do you know if anyone intends to write a biography on Bill Starr?

2. In Steve Dussia’s article, “My 45-Year Association with Bill Starr,” he mentioned Starr had written a manuscript for a book about The Golden Era of Weightlifting: York Barbell Club. You told him he was
    the only other person to see the manuscript. Do you know who currently has it and whether it will be published?

3. Have you considered contacting a bunch of guys that knew Starr and asking them to write an article, and then compiling them into a book, perhaps, titled- Bill Starr: Reflections on an Iconic Legend?

Starr was a great story teller and everything I’ve read by him or about him includes great stories. Personally, one of my favorites is the George Ernie Pickett series. It is loaded with fantastic and hilarious stories!

On this site I have found a handful of such articles that already exist in tribute to Starr. For those who haven’t read these, you should, as they are a delight. For convenience, I’ve listed the articles below.

Anyone aware other good articles on Starr, please share.

Steve Dussia’s Three-Part Series
    “My 45-Year Association with Bill Starr,” July 2, 2015
    “Bill Starr: A Legend Walked Among Us,” September 23, 2015
    “Bill Starr: He Wrote the Book,” October 23, 2015

“William Asel Starr,” by Ken Leistner, April 8, 2015

“Starr Light, Starr Bright, Starr Gone,” by Marty Gallagher, May 13, 2015

“FOB: A Glimpse of the Life and Friends of Bill Starr,” by Tommy Suggs, September 16, 2015

“Memories of Bill Starr,” by Jim Steel, May 5, 2015 [Steel’s Blog]

“Honoring a Legend: Remembering Bill Starr,” by Augie Maurelli, April 9, 2015 [Elitefts.com]

I know of no planned biography.

I think a bio would be pretty awesome if someone were to attempt it. I enjoyed reading the articles as they came out, having never met Starr I feel cheated that I never got to learn from him personally.