Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body twisted up?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not on the internet.
    Meaning?

Meaning: Problems that must be assessed in person -- since they're complicated and require visual inspection -- cannot be addressed by typing back and forth.

Thanks for the advice Scaldrew and everyone.

Mark, if I wanted find out if I have a leg length discrepancy in the best and most legitimate possible way, what type of doctor/professional do you suggest I go see and what test(s) do you suggest I get done?

Since I have a dent in my left quadricep, I must have either a quad tendon rupture or quad muscle belly rupture, as you said. Do you think it would be useful to massage the area in an effort “break up scar tissue.” Keep in mind I’ve had this dent for 10 years.

A Physical Therapist should be able to measure your LLD. That doesn't necessarily mean he can. Massaging a 10-year-old scar will not make it go back in time and heal properly.

Hey Mark,

I had an opportunity to visit a chiropractor at a discounted cost (Groupon). I asked her if she could measure my Leg Length Discrepancy and she had me lay face down and instantly confirmed my left leg was longer. So now the question became "is it s functional or structural leg length discrepancy?" I took a couple X-rays which confirmed a lateral pelvic tilt, with the the right side of my pelvis hitched higher than my left side.

Since it seems that my actual leg bones are probably equal in length, my plan is to stretch and myofascial release; I have extremely tight hamstrings, hip flexors, and adductors. Additionally, my left glute, right hamstring, right obliques and left upper trapezius are all tighter than their corresponding sides. I’m thinking that if I get all these muscles loose and balanced that will help shift my pelvis back into proper position. Does this sound like a great plan?

The chiropractor also did (what seemed to me) a few generic adjustments and claimed that she shifted my pelvis back in proper position. That sounds great if it true, but for some reason I doubt it. She also recommended that I come in to get cold laser therapy to “wake up” dead cells in my ruptured quad. I’m guessing the cold laser therapy is complete bullshit, especially for a decade old injury, right? Anyway, do you think that regular chiropractic adjustments would be of any benefit?

Lastly, I know you said that massaging this 10-year-old quadricep tendon or muscle belly rupture will not make it heal properly, but do you have any suggestions (besides lifting with textbook form), for this type of injury? I really don’t think that the lateral pelvic tilt is my only problem; this left knee of mine feels very weak and unstable. It quivers if I put weight on it and unlock the knee. No matter how much I concentrate on "knees out” while squatting, it seems my brain/body does not want to put equal weight on this knee/quad. Maybe when I correct this pelvic tilt, and as I continue to do my best to lift with perfect form, this problem will fix itself, but I kind of doubt it because I think I have an acute knee/quad issue as well.

Thank you,
    Fish

starting strength coach development program
    First: Diagnosing Silly Bullshit | Austin Baraki

Second, what are your lifts this week? How strong are you? Post a video of your squat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12