starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supps.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do y'all use Whey Protein Concentrate? The article mentions it is more effective for those who aren't allergic to it. It seems like most of the whey protein available to purchase is Isolate.

Quote Originally Posted by csapaugh View Post
    Do y'all use Whey Protein Concentrate? The article mentions it is more effective for those who aren't allergic to it. It seems like most of the whey protein available to purchase is Isolate.

I haven't found whey concentrate at a competitive price to whey isolate.

I use the same whey isolate brand Rip uses in his orange soda protein shake video which is more than 99% protein.

The concentrate I've seen is generally 80% protein, but more than 80% of the price, so gram for gram isolate works out better, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

[quote] Timing is not as important as consistency but some of you will experience gastrointestinal distress after consumption. To avoid an unpleasant interruption to your training, begin taking this post-training or at any other less risky time of day. Better safe than sorry. [quote]

I had a friend who took creatine before a high school soccer match, with the idea that it would strengthen the muscles he used to play. Big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    I'm slightly sceptical of the marginal benefit of BCAAs if you take whey every few hours. You should theoretically speaking have ample free leucine and other bcaa for MPS from the whey.
    Shortly before exercising, it is counterproductive to digest anything that needs to be processed by the liver (such as whey protein), because when the liver works, it deprives the muscles of blood flow and energy. Additionally, the exercise impedes the simultaneous digestion of food and the ability of the liver to process the food. Since BCAAs are “free-form” amino acids as opposed to bonded amino acids in long chains of complete proteins, they don’t need to be broken down and processed further by the liver. Rather, they bypass the liver, going straight into the blood, absorbed quickly by the muscles, and as such can be ingested right before a workout, or even in the middle of one.

If you're "cutting", you can burn off fat with aerobics before breakfast; by ingesting BCAAs before a pre-breakfast workout you prevent muscle breakdown. In such a case I believe it makes sense to also ingest glutamine before the pre-breakfast aerobic workout, as that is also free-form, and when depleting one's glycogen stores, the body breaks down glutamine to create more glycogen in a process called gluconeogenisis, and depleted levels of glutamine can weaken muscles and the immune system.

By the way, I found the original post article fascinating. I learned a lot from it, as I haven't studied micro-nutrients very much. It's really packed with valuable info. Thanks so much to Cody Miller and Mark Rippetoe.

I think BCAAs are magical. I just replenished my supply after months of absence. Took them regularly over about a week, and hit a new 5RM deadlift, 5lbs above a previous 3RM.

I do have recovery problems, with inadequate sleep and loads of stress. Perhaps the BCAAs are compensating for some of that.

Could be correlation w/o causation, but I know where I'm putting my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    caveat emptor: There hasn't been any industry wide resolution to protein spiking as far as I am aware.
    Is this really a thing? Are you saying it's cut with something else secretly and not put on the labeling?

Myprotein's whey concentrate is usually $6 / lb on sale. What's cheaper than that? Concentrate seems to mix better than isolate. My isolate either clumps or, once I get it dissolved, froths up. And if I just need straight protein (as if I'm ever that strict with macros) there's egg whites too. I'm just assuming they're cheaper, I haven't compared.

I seem less sore with BCAA use. But I wonder about the placebo effect of mixing it up and chugging it every few hours on schedule making you feel like you're a hardcore training Olympic athlete.

Never noticed anything different with or without creatine or beta alanine, but my training isn't randomized or placebo controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Is this really a thing? Are you saying it's cut with something else secretly and not put on the labeling?

Myprotein's whey concentrate is usually $6 / lb on sale. What's cheaper than that? Concentrate seems to mix better than isolate. My isolate either clumps or, once I get it dissolved, froths up. And if I just need straight protein (as if I'm ever that strict with macros) there's egg whites too. I'm just assuming they're cheaper, I haven't compared.

I seem less sore with BCAA use. But I wonder about the placebo effect of mixing it up and chugging it every few hours on schedule making you feel like you're a hardcore training Olympic athlete.

Never noticed anything different with or without creatine or beta alanine, but my training isn't randomized or placebo controlled.
    There was a big thing with spiking a few years ago:
    Big Reddit Protein Powder Measurement Results : Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    Long story short, "protein" is defined as anything with nitrogen content for purposes of labeling, a rather old definition of protein that probably could use some updating for the modern world. Often, independent amino acids are used to cheapen the cost while being able to label them as "protein" in the ingredients list. Sometimes even using the existence of BCAAs in the powder as some kind of awesome plus. Or worse, something like I believe taurine, based on this, has more "protein" than actual protein!

Suffice it to say, lawsuits are out now, and the FDA has come out recently and made clear that they do not approve, but it might be a while before any kind of action is taken. Overall, be cognizant of what is in the protein powder you use. Things like taurine, glycine, gelatin, collagen, any BCAA or other amino acids, and the like are probably being used to spike the product. In general if the protein powder is being hailed by their marketing as being protein plus more... the more is actually to cut costs of protein, which if you go digging, you can find a bit of a weird history with the cost of whey. I believe labdoor is still currently testing and displaying results for actual protein content of various products.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Long story short, "protein" is defined as anything with nitrogen content for purposes of labeling, a rather old definition of protein that probably could use some updating for the modern world.
    Cheap dog food used to be made with hair, so the "Crude Protein" number would be higher.

starting strength coach development program
    Wouldn't it be great if one had a mutation that would make collagen a highly effective protein for gainzZz. It would be very cheap to make the protein.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast