starting strength gym

Thread: Mid-Upper Back Pain

Default Mid-Upper Back Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

Today I wrapped up week 4 of SS. Exercises were Squat/Bench/PCs/Chins. After completing my first set of chins (3x8 with 27.5lbs added), I noticed a pain in my mid-upper back. I couldn't pinpoint the pain to a single movement or stretch, but inhaling and random movements seemed to cause the pain. It was to the left side of my spine just above half-way along my back.

When resting after my first set of chins, the pain subsided but never completely went away. While performing my second set of chins I did not feel the pain, but it returned immediately after completing the set. It was slightly worse this time. I opted to not go for a third set and called it a day. However, it has been 4-5 hours now and the pain is still there from random movements or deep breaths.

I'll add that this week has been the first week of the program where my body is really feeling stressed. My CNS was really kicking in during my squats today. I've read closed threads that say chins may correct this type of pain, not cause it. However, I've been doing chins 3 times a week since week 1, day 3, as recommended by the SS app. My concern is that this pain needs to be addressed. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

There will be occasional back pain that you have to deal with, both as a lifter and as a bipedal human being. It usually indicates nothing more than some local inflammation. It will go away, and it will happen again. There will be occasional back pain whether you train or not. So the question is: what are you going to do? Keep training or quit?

Pain I can deal with.. being out of the gym from an injury is what I want to avoid. Thanks for your input, Rip. Week 5, here I come.

What's more, this does not get better when you get older. Especially when you first wake up and before you get the synovial fluid circulating.

I guess you could call this "acceptable pain". Would you say that knowing the difference between this kind of pain and pain from injury, improper form, etc. comes from experience alone?

Yes, everybody has to learn the difference between injury and the normal aches and pains that accompany merely having not died yet. I have a guy in here right now who had a kidney removed 3 weeks ago due to stage IV cancer. He has not died yet, and it may take him a while. But he is training.

well I now know that laughing out loud contributes to the back pain.

I was laughing in reference to "the normal aches and pains that accompany merely having not died yet". My hat is off to the guy training with stage IV cancer. Very few people have that type of strength... but people like him inspire it in others.

starting strength coach development program
    For whatever reason chin ups (palms facing me) mess up my upper back and neck but pull ups (palms facing away) are fine. I do have scoliosis(spine twisted 12° to the left and a mild S-shape) in my upper back but chin ups are the only exercise that cause any trouble. It is most likely caused by a pinched nerv(forgot the name) that runs down my left arm because if I overdo it (I used to think I could fix the problem by doing a ton of chin ups) my little and ring finger turn numb.