starting strength gym

Thread: In regard to your article "Shoes"

Default In regard to your article "Shoes"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Where you write:

"This, of course and like most other general recommendations, depends. In this case it depends on the anthropometry of the lifter. Flat shoes are useful for people with short tibias and long femurs, who will already have their knees forward because long femurs just do that to a guy. A moderate heel – maybe a half inch net height – is useful for people of normal anthropometry, for the aforementioned quad recruitment. And a taller heel is necessary for people with long tibias and short femurs (sprinters are designed this way) if they want to get the most leg work out of squats and deadlifts. I have personally used both flats and heels for my heaviest deadlifts, over 600, and I prefer the heels.”

How can I measure and find out if I have short tibias and long femurs, normal anthropometry, or long tibias and short femurs?

You could use a measuring device, like a tape. Than you could draw a squat with these dimensions and look at it, factoring in the sagittal femoral angle out of the hip.